Karle Lathe Spinning Tools and Dual Use Spinning/Storage Cabinet

I posted this request in rec.crafts.woodturning earlier but would like some additional suggestions so I am posting here also.

I recently purchased a Karle spinning lathe from a friend...EXCELLENT small metal spinning lathe.

It weighs a bit over a hundred pounds so it is still managable in terms of portability...much like a Jet/Delta midi lathe...just heavier.

Unfortunately the lathe did not have any spinning tools with it. What spinning tools would the group recommend to purchase and where would you buy them?

Also with a small shop, I wish to make this lathe "portable" to store it when it is not in use. Any suggestions for a good combination lathe storage and spinning stand?

I do have the same table available that the lathe came with but it takes up a lot of room...room that I would like it to share with other tools. That is why I would like to have a portable storage solution available so it can be stored when not in use and also be available for demos at workshops.

Thanks

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

David Billington

Who is Terry Tynan?

Do you have a link?

Thanks

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

A handy little guide - worth the read

Andy Dingley

Reply to
David Billington

Thanks David...I was unaware of Terry's last name and did not make the connection.

You are right...from his comments he comes across as a nice guy. I will check into the DVD you mention.

You also make a good point about the scaling of the tools. I have been looking for that type of information but have found it lacking in most discussions. I realize that it does differs depending on the size of work but there seems to be little discussion on it. Being I have the Karle lathe, I have been trying to find out what the appropriate size of tooling is for that lathe with an eye towards going to larger work in the near future.

Does anyone know what tools were originally included with the Karle lathe?

Also hasn't anyone built a portable lathe stand/storage cabinet sized for the midi lathes?

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools