Kapex, no, bosch maybe

Well, I have wanted a Kapex for years. Space, dust and accuracy .. but I can't pull the trigger at 1400 now. up from 1200 last year.
So now the bosch 12 glide is on sale. 599 at both HD and amazon. the 10" is also 599 not on sale. I have read the reviews, plenty of people complaining about lack of accuracy, plenty saying it's accurate. Dust is not very good, and the high quality laser you would expect does not exist at all.
Anyone have this saw? opinions. I know, I know ... but I'm curious.
--
Jeff

On 12/15/2014 8:16 PM, woodchucker wrote:

I would buy neither the Festool or the Bosch for accuracy. I would love to have either but would probably opt for the Bosch 12" for half the price. If I want accurate I cut it on the TS. If I need to cross cut a shit load, I would opt for the miter saw. The miter saw would also be great for cutting stock to workable lengths.
FWIW when I stepped up to a cabinet saw in 1999 my delta began CMS collecting dust.
I wouldn't buy a 12" slider, period. None of them are as accurate as their smaller brothers in testing, and certainly not in the field. And carrying those monsters around... no fun at all, nothing convenient about them.
If I was in the market for a good slider, I would look at the Makita 1016. It has great capacity for nested crown moldings (something like 6 1/2" !!) and will cut 12" wide shelf material. You can get this model with a laser, and it is supposed to be pretty accurate with a tuneup.
And if you are just going to use that 12" slider in your shop, make sure yo u take a look at one in person to see just how frikkin' big and bulky they are.
Robert

Have a 13 year old LS1013 that has maintained its accuracy after it did a flip off the portable stand and landed upside down.
Problem is, it has gotten heavier since I bought it...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 12/16/2014 8:11 AM, Swingman wrote:

I had that one too. But mine tumbled down the basement stairs a few years ago. I picked up a really cheap saw to break stuff down, but I've been wanting something better. I'll admit I don't use it too often, mostly for breaking down. but when I had my makita I used it more often. I loved that big ass table too. I should have bought another before they totally disappeared.
maybe I'll save the money for the saw stop. My son is out of school, we are starting to recover from not having a job for 6 months.., 6 months after going back to work.
--
Jeff

Stationary miter saws tend to be more accurate than sliding saws. I have a 12" Dewalt DW716 miter saw. It can cross cut up to 8" or so (10" if you shift the fence back), which covers most crosscut situations. If I need to cut something wider, I can usually cut one side, flip and finish the cut.
I have a dedicated table for my miter saw. The cross cuts I make seem to be just as accurate as anything I make on my table saw. With a 50-60 tooth blade and a slow cut I get very smooth cross cuts with virtually no tear out.
Sometimes I will cross cut on the table saw, but I'm not crazy about sliding long boards on the table saw. For cross cutting panels, I prefer to use my Bosch track saw. It's easier to move a saw on a long panel than move a long panel on a saw.