K3, padauk, purple heart, 4x4 cherry

A downright shitty sloppy wet snow crap day. My delivery was delayed by another day, so no countertop duty for me today. I had called my wood supplier last week to put aside a piece of 8/4 cherry for this coffee table I'm making for my daughter.
I get to Andy's place of business, woodstove is on, so is the coffee. He showed me the piece he dug up for me. It measures 3x3 x 69. Perfect. I pulled out some 4/4 boards, chose a couple and then came eye-to-eye with a 15" x 48" slab of Purple Heart. Flawless. I had to have it. NO idea what for. Then he showed me a piece of Padauk. Had to have it too. I have built stuff out of Padauk before and I really enjoyed the results. In some parts of the world they use Padauk to build shipping crates. *shrugs* Then, on my way home, I decided to stop by Nick's ( http://www.nicks.ca/ ) to see what's new there. He had the Kreg K3 for sale. Bought it on Leon's recommendation. That tool has evolved since the original.
Not a gloat per se (the lumber cost me $100, quite reasonable, but not gloating grade) but I sure felt good today.
Wood is more fun than tools. But it is wonderful to work nice wood with good tools.
Now...what to make from that Purple Heart.

Darn, I hate it when that happens. Otherwise I had to put up with blue skys and temps in the 70's F. So I washed my wife's car.

Padauk is a cool wood. Several years ago I built a coffee table with Padauk, Cocobolo and Walnut.

Oh NO!.... did you not see my latest post on the K3???? ;~) I still love it. I REALLY like the handle on the front.

You might as well come on down to Houston and lets go to Woodcraft. They have a piece of Bubinga set out for you. Swingman turned it down. IIRC 2" thick, about 30" wide and about 42" long. $980.00 U.S.

It certainly is. IIRC you have been recommending the Festool ROS sander. Rotex? Anyway, Rumpty was persuaded to look at the Festool plunge circle saw and bought one. Unfortunately he has been under the weather and has not been able to try it out and give us a report. Lets all hope he gets well real soon. He e-mailed me with the site to another Festool MUST HAVE tool. Apparently not available yet but will probably be a big hit. Sort of a Plate Joiner," Biscuit Joiner", hole driller for dowels, mortise driller for Dominoes?
Check this out. Thanks Rumpty. I hope it is not too expensive.
http://www.festool.net/artikel/artikel_weiterleiten.cfm?id 1

I wonder how the contrast would look if you used Yellow Heart with what ever you build?
[misc. snippage]

way, I could hang a painting over it without people (me) walking into it. I could use a variety of woods on one piece of furniture.

You'd want to pre-sell something like that...or like it enough for your own use. I'm sure there is a piece of wood out there that would make me drop that kind of money.

Oh yea. I sure got to like that thing..a lot. It is in a class by itself. They paid a lot of attention to the design. It is the one to beat. I was a dyed-in-the-wool Fein fan. It is still a good sander. But that Rotex 150...what can I say...there is no equal.

Everything is either 500 or 750 dollars. I hope Rumpty gets well soon and I, for one, miss his RAS-ze-mataz.

Festool. That tool makes WAY too much sense. Sign me up.

NO idea what Yellow Heart looks like.... I'll Google me some images.

I was thinking when I posted that question, Miller High School in Corpus Christi, TX.
I made a candy bowl last month with a piece of walnut on the bottom then a 8/4 piece of paduak and then 4/4 maple on top. All turned out fine but when I went to put the wipe poly on the paduak wanted to bleed over to the maple. Managed to get it corrected but there must be another way that is not as time consuming. Made many projects with paduak but never with another wood glued to it.

Something for Valentine's day??
I turned a small purple heart bowl a few months ago... asked the wife if it could be sold and she said something about "prying it from her cold, dead hands"...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 08:23:58 -0800, mac davis wrote:

Well, could it be sold? How much? ;-)
--
Keith

I was offered $30... not bad for a 5" diameter bowl..
Replacing the wife would be much more expensive...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 20:24:28 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,

They've got you waiting tables instead, huh?

Who are you going to impale with it once it becomes a nice pointy stick, Rob?

That might make a nice hallway or garden bench seat/top.
----- = Dain Bramaged...but having lots of fun! http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development