K.I.S.S.

Or KISS, if you prefer. Whchi means keep It Simple Stupid, for those few not in the know.

I'm figuring on making a chess board out of some of the oak flooring my older son donated to me. Simple enough, but been trying to come up with a simple way to take off the tonge. Came up with all sorts of ways that'd work, but they'd all take time. then it hit me. The pattern bit in my router table is set to route 1/2 inch plywood. That's exactly the right height to take the tongue off enoughpieces to make the chess board. Heh. Now all I need to do after I knock off the tonge is to make a stop block for the miter saw, and start lopping squares off, then glue 'em in place. Sooo simple. Once I figured it out that is.

J T

What's wrong with running them through the table saw? Am I missing something here?

Reply to
Dave in Houston

Wed, Aug 8, 2007, 10:52pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@houston.rr.com (Dave=A0in=A0Houston) doth query: What's wrong with running them through the table saw? Am I missing something here?

Coulda. Didn't wanna.

JOAT I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do them.

- Picasso

Reply to
J T

Thu, Aug 9, 2007, 12:12am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@dontemailme.com (Leuf) doth query: Why even cut the tongue off? Glue up your 8 rows all together, cut strips from your glue up on the TS and then just turn every other row around.

The squares will be smaller than the flooring width. Will stain half the squares, plus change grain direction.

Yep, could. Don't wanna.

JOAT I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do them.

- Picasso

Reply to
J T

Why even cut the tongue off? just put it together like a floor if you are keeping the full width of the flooring. Or are you keeping all the squares the same color but changing grain direction or something?

There's a better way than cutting squares to make a chessboard so long as your pieces of flooring are long enough to do a whole row plus kerfs. Glue up your 8 rows all together, cut strips from your glue up on the TS and then just turn every other row around. Even if they aren't long enough to do a whole row you could do it in quarters.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in news:10144-46BA990B-397 @storefull-3331.bay.webtv.net:

Sounds like a bored engineer. Be afraid. Be VERY afraid. ;-)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Thu, Aug 9, 2007, 5:25am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Puckdropper) doth adviseth: Sounds like a bored engineer. Be afraid. Be VERY afraid. ;-)

Bored? I'm not bored. Nothing to be afraid of either, I'll guarantee it. Hehehe