Justifying the Donino.

Page 2 of 4

As I replied to Swingman that was a tongue in cheek post... ;~)
I know a couple guys who own Dominos. One has a commercial shop and a rack full of Festool tools... he makes money with his tools and as you implicitly point out time is money--that is all the justification needed when you are trying to put food in your mouth! That guy does first class work and is also the only guy I know personally, besides myself, who has a 36" bandsaw. It's always interesting to see the jigs and fixtures he creates to solve complex machining problems... a good source for ideas and inspiration.
The other guy I know is retired and has the discretionary funds to buy one. He had one project, a large dining room set, where he opted to use the Domino and it worked out well for him. I think his choice was mostly based on the fact that he could and that it relieved him of a lot of tedious mortise and tenon work--not a job for biscuits.
Me personally. I don't have one at this time but I wouldn't rule it out in the future if I concluded that it was the best tool for the job based on performance and speed. Shop time is the thing I lack most. The time thing is what prompted me recently to get a corrugated fastener so I could tackle a sizeable project for my son's Boy Scout Troop and to a lesser degree a future project. It also prompted me to order some shaper cutters for another project I'm doing for a friend. Without the cutters the job would have required a lot of set up changes and passes on the table saw and I'd have ended up with a less robust product. I'm not sure I'll use two of the three cutters again but for $70 they more than justified themselves for this project. The only thing that gives me time on the wreck is that fact that it takes time for automated jobs and programs to run that otherwise tie up my computer... I am proficient at time slicing during the day!

I totally understood that, but I knew there would be others that didn't hence my reply. ;~) I think you just caught Swingman off guard, he has been going at it with a couple of others here. ;-0
And I totally agree, who can really justify the cost of a 70" vs 40" TV?
If you like it, want it, and can afford it, GET IT. :~)

Could be... I'm dismayed at how badly things deteriorate here at times... Why subject yourself to it...? I do this for fun, not to increase the stress level of my life. As a side bonus, useful answers and opinions can be found here at times! ;~)

40"? Geez... I watch TV in a window on my computer via a built in tuner. Typically have it sized to about 5-6" diagonally. Not much on TV that I need to see in detail and if I do I make the window bigger. ;~)

Yup!

Except that tweaking the odd asshats nose on occasion can actually relieve stress ... particularly those who have a history of posting nothing whatsoever related to woodworking.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

I can see that... my approach is to ignore them and move on. This as feeding the trolls just seems to make them grow...
John

Your approach makes infinitely more sense, and I often follow that ideal approach myself, when politics and climate are concerned ... it's just that, sometimes, the devil makes you do it! ;)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 2/9/2012 9:40 AM, Leon wrote:

Not at all, and nothing to do with it ... it was a legitimate query regarding an unusual, to me, take on purchasing tools.
(But I am still trying to figure out what some of us "need more practice" at?)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

I saw a little, old, blue-haired couple arguing with the Walmart employee who couldn't fit the 50" TV into their 1970s compact car. Well, it fit into the back seat, but neither front seat would fold back upright and neither door would close. I think the 24" long trunk was too narrow to stick the box in sideways, too, even if they had some way to support the other 3' which were sticking out.
My grin lasted over half an hour for that one. Two guys walked past me while I put on the windshield wiper blades and wondered just what I was grinning about. That shot the grin up another notch.
Peoplewatching is fun.
-- Energy and persistence alter all things. --Benjamin Franklin

I bought a piece of plywood that did that... So I took it back in to the store and asked them to cut it. It fit in the car just fine then. I bet that would have worked for the TV!
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 10 Feb 2012 05:13:13 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

You betcha! Then again, it probably would have fit in the mini cah if they'd taken it out of the box. There's a lot of foam in those boxes.
-- Energy and persistence alter all things. --Benjamin Franklin
On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 19:47:28 -0800, Larry Jaques

I wonder if there is money to be made there. If you have a pickup, just hang around the parking lot and offer to take the big packages home for them for a few $$$.
On 2/10/2012 3:52 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If you lived in Houston you would be called the "Mexican Illegals". ;~)
Not a bad idea though, like a wrecker driver.
Oh God....there's mexicans in Houston ??
I thought they were all here In N.C.
On 2/10/2012 4:34 AM, Leon wrote:

And considering those drawer fronts you pin attached with Dominos, it's also capable of adding a dimension of artistry to some projects. While possible with regular mortise and tenon constructions, stuff like that is not so often visible.
On 2/9/2012 8:48 AM, Dave wrote:

Exactly! In another post I covered the fact that it was those exposed Domino's on 3 other drawers that probably got me the big drawer job.

Wow.....somebody who finally understands the world of tools.
Our old friend on PBS probably sold more tools accidentally than any tool rep in the world today.
Nobody needs a PC 557 but there are millions sitting in shops around the world because of one guy and a thing called tool envy.
If everybody on this list fessed up about the drawer full of "magic" tools they bought and rarely, if ever used, we would have some pretty interesting threads on "my last dumb ass purchase".
If I had the money, I would have a shop full of Festool just because I want my estate sale to be interesting.
On 2/9/2012 2:09 PM, Pat Barber wrote:

It would not be interesting for long. :~)
"Pat Barber" wrote ...

Nahm?? Are we talking about Nahm?? What was funny about NYW was that PBS insisted that all logos be covered or removed from the tools. Apparently it would have been too commercial. And you could go to any tool store or forum on the net and all the tool brands and models would be instantly communicated. He did a hell of a job selling tools for a "non commercial" network/program.

I wonder how many routers were sold as a result of Norm opening that drawer on his shop cabinet to reveal that he had more routers than fingers or toes.

Hey! I resemble that remark. I did some cleaning in my shop recently and found stuff I bought over 30 years ago. Still in the original package. I haven't opened them or used them since I bought them. Including a router attachment to cut biscuit slots. Some odd fasteners that looked like a good idea at the time, but never found a use in the real world.
On the other hand, I bought a bunch of tools that were put to use five minutes after I got them home. And I have bought tools that lasted over twenty years. Heck, my old wrenches and general tools are over 40 years old. Most of what I bought was put to use. Although, sometimes I buy some kinda exotic wrench because I had a couple situations where I really needed it. And the situation hasn't arisen yet to use them. But If I need it, I know where to find them!
Reminds me of that old depressing joke. How can you tell that you really, really need a tool? When you buy it twice. That refers to brain farts where you have a tool and forget about it. You go out and buy a new one and discover that you already bought one years ago and forgot about it. I have done that a couple of times.

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 16:19:09 -0500, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

Nah, he was talking about Roy Underhill. People would watch him work up a sweat, huff and puff, and stick himself with sharp tools, then they'd run out of the house and drive down to Woodcraft to buy something very -electric-! =:0

Keeping up with the Nahmses probably accounted for thousands of bankruptcies every year, too.

I regret very few tool purchases. I'm a collector, but not in the normal way. I don't put them in fancy display cases. I use 'em.

I have a drawer of those, too.

<blushing deeply> I'm glad I've never done that.

Oh, no. That green clashes with simply everything!

Neener: I don't have a wife to slow me down nor kids to rip off.
-- Energy and persistence alter all things. --Benjamin Franklin
On 2/9/2012 4:19 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

I don't have too many "virgin" tools, but I've got a bunch that were used once. I imagine that happens a lot to homeowner handymen like me.
My basin wrench, for instance, is in absolutely perfect shape. I bought it when I was putting in our kitchen. It did an admirable job of installing the faucet, which was to be expected as it was the most expensive model they had. Knowing it was going to be a seldom-used item, I tried to buy either of the two cheaper ones in the showcase, but neither was in stock. Looks nice in the toolbox, though.
Some of my other plumbing tools have similarly thin resumes. The deep-socket faucet wrench set was used maybe twice. The PVC tubing cutter had a brief encore when my daughter was in junior high. (science project - how does the length of a tube affect it's resonant frequency?).
I've got a masonry hammer and a pair of those hand-shield cold chisels that I used once to put in a dryer vent. The hammer also came in handy to break up some hardened ice-melt crystals. (don't do that, by the way; the crystals reacted with the hammer and caused some nasty corrosion).
I got one of those "laser" (actually ultrasound, I think) distance measuring gizmos as a gift a number of years back. I imagine it would be a handy item for measuring room dimensions, say for a contractor estimating a job. I haven't come up with a use for it yet myself, though. Molding just looks better when it's *exactly* the right length.
My grout float sat after it's rookie job for quite a few years, but eventually came out again. The torx screwdrivers are still waiting though. I've probably used the Greenlee Naileater 3/4" drill bit and its extension maybe three times.
I'm sure there are any number of others.