Just wondering if this would be good Idea!

Has anyone ever heard of someone making a router table out of Granite counter top material??
Would work fine. Post pictures when done.

Oh I would love to, just don't know how I would cut slots or install T track if needed CW wrote:

Somebody who makes granite table tops might know. Perhaps multiple passes with a wet saw aranged to cut a groove would work (eventually anyway). Jim
Jim wrote:

all of the tools for working wood have stoneworking equivalents. t slots could be cut with a waterfeed diamond router.
granite doesn't have the tenstile strength of wood or iron. t slots would be in danger of breaking off if a lot of upward pressure was applied, like using the slot as a clamping fixture base. a plain slot would be more likely to survive used as a sliding jig guide only.
granite has really good wear characteristics, and it is pretty rigid, so if you can avoid the brittleness of it you could have a really sweet router table. I'd pass on the slots. instead, have it cut with the 2 long sides accurately parallel to each other and makes sleds that straddle the whole table.
the hard part will be getting the drop in recess made.

No. My guess is that without access to a lot of specialized cutting tools, this is a bad idea in practice. You could probably buy a nice top for less than paying to get a granite one cut the way you want. And I know you could build a nice top for less.
todd
My thoughts... Granite and sharp router bits doesn't seem to be a match made in heaven. I try to be careful with my bits, but if they hit a formica or wood table, they're not going to get nicked.
My router table top also gets used for other things, like an assembly table or whatever else I need it for. I wouldn't feel comfortable putting down a hammer or something like that on a granite table. It would probably be fine unless I actually dropped the hammer on it, but the noise would make me nervous each time, I think.
In summary, it would probably work ok (IMHO), but I wouldn't go out of my way to make it happen. The hassles of shaping/assembling it, the worry of putting tools on it, and all the rest of it would outweigh the benefits like it's mass, flatness, etc.
Clint

BD wrote:

Doesn't seem very practical. It's going to be a huge PITA to cut out the area to drop your mounting plate into. It's so easy to get a sheet of 3/4 plywood and put some formica on it.. why go through all that trouble?