Just Three

Page 3 of 3
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman wrote:

Table saw, band saw, drill press then next 3 6x48 belt sander/disk sander combo, lathe, dust collector then next 3 jig saw, jointer, planer or large belt/drum sander.
I have all these in my home shop except the planer and drum sander and tried to list them in the order I would miss the most, or most used. I really haven't missed the planer at all but would love to have a 24 or 36 inch belt/drum sander... I probably would buy a shaper before a planer, but you can get by with a router. I have a shaper which is is a lot better than a router table but more expensive as well.
Whatever you get, make sure it is high quality stuff. Cheap tools always suck. If you can't afford good new stuff, find good old stuff, or do without until you can buy quality.
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

MiniMax or Felder combo machine, bandsaw, drill press

Hey Frank, that is almost cheating. LOL Great suggestion, you get more machines for a single choice.

The key is "almost cheating."
I moved from a huge shop into a small one and had to ditch the separate machines. The switch was not without some issues. I had to learn to be much more organized and think through the steps for each phase of the project.
In a few years I will be building another shop and I am starting to think about what machines I will use then.
Really want to thank all that have responded with advice on what I should be getting. That is what I like about this group, you ask a question and get strait forward answers.
Again, THANKS.
Ray ==

ts, jointer, planer.
Can't do much without square stock, and I don't have the patience to four-square by hand.
jc
On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 05:22:48 GMT, "Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman"

What do you want to make to start out?
- Band saws aren't as useful for plywood cabinets as they might be for fine furniture.
- Jointers and planers don't do well with plywood and MDF.
- Some fine furniture makes forgo a table saw, but live and die with a band saw, jointer, and planer.
- Some guys don't use power tools at all, and still work pretty quickly. Check this out: <http://www.popularwoodworking.com/blog3/How+I+Became+A+Hand+Tool+Guru.aspx
- Some folks have good access to good quality s4s lumber, and joint well-enough using a router or a table saw.
For most woodworkers planning to use power tools, a table saw is a necessity, and a good all-around first purchase. Don't scrimp here, a good contractor's saw might be the only table saw you'll ever need.
From there, we need to think about the question at the beginning...