Just Plane Gloating...

Ooh - bad pun...
I waited until now to post this so I could test and verify the machine, and now that I'm happy:
I picked up a 50's era Parks/Craftsman 12" planer from a guy at the office for $50. I thought, "$50 is worth taking a chance, especially since I'd be looking at $350-$400 for a new Bosch or DeWalt". No wimpy sheet metal here - this thing is straight from my old high school shop class: heavy, solid, powerful (2hp motor). Plus the smell of the transmission oil - it just takes me right back to school. Well, after getting the guide rollers loosely aligned I ran a couple of boards through. No snipe or tearing, and a good, true flat surface. That's one more nice item revived and added to the workshop ;-)
--Henry
Nice! >Henry wrote:

Someday, it'll all be over....
Cruise on over to the OWWM and you'll find articles on tuning up *older* *real* (not a toy) planers. In fact the subject case was a Parks.
http://www.owwm.com/FAQ/Default.asp
Scroll down until you see the Planer header.
UA100, who'd thought he'd done good to get his Craftsman badged Parks for less than a porty planer...
Any relation to the musician?     mahalo,     jo4hn
Big Al Dexter wrote:

[snip]