JUST ONCE.....

Just once i'd like to see a demonstration of that damn hot dog being run into that $aw $top blade at the same rate that your finger or hand might if you were to slip. I'll bet it'll still cause significant damage. Those things are a joke.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Sounds like you are looking to pick a fight.

On super slow-mo cameras the blade drops below the table before the second tooth has time to rotate into position to hit the dog. I would say at worst you would get a small gash. No way enough rotation to get to bone even if fell into it.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

LMAO! yeah they EASE that hot dog in so slow the damn smell would get there first. Not trying to pick a fight. I could care less. I just hate to see more government control over stupidity.

Reply to
Steve Barker

having just had a run in with the object of this thread. Even if I had had one, I don't think it would have kept me from getting 12 (should have been more) stitches in two fingers (4 index, 8 ring). I was cutting slats for a swing fron a very wet treated 2x8. It was wanting to vear away from the fence, so, being very careful, I was holding it over with my left hand and pushing it through with the right hand. The 2x8 just stopped and my left hand slipped up and over the blade.

Because the 2x8 was as wet as it was, I would think the Saw-Stop would have already fired. Even if it did not, going over the top of the blade that way would make it much harder for the trigger mechanism to detect the change in resistance.

Makes a nice commercial and is something to keep the "safety" folks happy. Other than that, I cannot think of a good use for it except to generate funds for the company that makes it.

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

Reply to
tiredofspam

well you would have had to disable it for the wet wood.

Reply to
tiredofspam

As I understand it, the blade works on electrical signal and not resistance.

Per the website ad: "When skin contacts the blade, the signal changes because the human body is conductive." "The change to the signal activates the safety system."

If I recall, a show on cable called "Time Warp" captures action with a super slo-mo camera. They did a segment about the SawStop and used a real hand. The guy dipped his hand in ice water prior to the test, which I imagined was to slow blood flow, and cut wood allowing his hand to hit the blade and it worked. I can't find any videos right now, but searches may find results.

Reply to
Justin Time

I agree that the government should not mandate adoption of this technology, but the system does work as advertised. THere are a number of videos on Youtube and other sites where it is demonstrated at normal feed speeds, and more than a few testimonials too.

Reply to
Larry W

Saw the hot dog live demo once. It worked as advertised and barely broke the skin of the dog. Amazing demo and when that blade stopped, even though I was expecting some noise it still scared the crap right out of me.

Reply to
Digger

Deb, The Sawstop has an override to prevent accidental firing if you are cutting wet wood so your accident may not have been diminshed if you were using a Saw Stop in this mode. (At least this feature was provided on the earlier models as was explained to me at several demonstrations and shows.) However, I don't think your comment about going over the top of the blade is accurate. I also posed questions like that to many of the Saw Stop dudes and they assured me that the blade will sense "flesh" or any other conducting material it touches. They claim that you don't have to be the conduit between the blade and the table for actuation to take place. No, I'm not a Saw Stop owner nor advocate. Anyway, I hope you're healed and really sorry your got cut. =20 Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

Steve Barker, The video on SawStop's web site shows the plywood moving about 6" in 3/4 of a second. That's a feed rate of about 8" per second. How fast do you feed material into your table saw? Kerry

Reply to
Kerry Montgomery

yeah i saw that one also. he eased it in slower than the hot dog.

Reply to
Steve Barker

!!!!!!!!!!!!!! T R O L L !!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Leon

I hate to say it but it will be people with your mentality that will be the reason the government will control it. You people need this kind of government protection.

Reply to
Leon

hardly

Reply to
Steve Barker

If memory serves, when they tested this on Ask This Old House the hot dog was tossed at the blade.

Reply to
willadams

i'm sure we won't be seeing any videos of it mangling a hotdog or other such thing. The gubmint would never allow the truth to come out about such things.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Yeah I think so.

Reply to
Leon

well i guess they can try. I've got a brand new NON $aw $top saw that will more than outlast me. I'll never have to use one. I may even buy up some other good saws that can be sold after nothing but the junkassed $$ is all that's available.

Reply to
Steve Barker

You jump all over that. You du'man.

Reply to