JUST ONCE.....

Personally, I prefer Bayesian probability over maturity of chances. LOL!

Reply to
Swingman

The principle of _risk-compensation effect_: "When people feel safer, they take more chances, so the total level of safety remains constant".

IOW, more SS's on the market will not necessarily result in fewer table saw accidents, although the severity may arguably decrease, at least at this stage of the game.

Reply to
Swingman

Is there any statistical evidence that woodworkers over 60 are more likely to injure themselves on power tools than those under 60?

Reply to
Just Wondering

Swingman wrote in news:bPqdnR6rRIK3YIPSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I wasn't trying to say that in the course of using powertools one doesn't either get more complacent or more experienced/careful. Due to the few not so good experiences, I'm more careful now than earlier in life ...

And looking up Bayesian probability, I got confused early on, so quit further "research" on that subject ... .

Reply to
Han

Basically, if your coin flips heads twenty times in a row, disregard "maturity of chances" as the basis for future bets, and go with the obviously sufficient evidential probability that the coin is somehow influenced in that direction. :)

Reply to
Swingman

Just one question Jack. How will you show your face here if you chop one of your fingers off? How will you ever live down the shame?

Sorry, that's two questions. Feel free to answer one or both. :)

Reply to
Dave

You just love playing the ass don't you? Sure there will be a muzzle order in effect. But, people talk. News reporters can be just as determined as the most vile paparazzi. Are you actually stupid enough to think that kind of information would stay unrevealed?

Sorry my mistake. From day one, you've demonstrated your ignorance and stupidity here with most every message you've posted.

Reply to
Dave

You are not much fun when you lose!

Reply to
m II

We'll be watching for new nicknames with missing strings of letters in the text.

Sorry, that's two questions. Feel free to answer one or both. :)

Reply to
m II

Most guys I know missing a digit lost it while they were "young and invincible", before they had accumulated enough experience to work safely. And most lost it to a skill-saw, not a table saw. I know of more hide lost to jointer-planers and belt sanders and angle grinders than to table saws by a factor of 10 or more.

And the angle grinders bite even when the shroud is installed properly.

Reply to
clare

Swingman wrote in news:x8udndrEwdetgYLSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I like that idea. They got rich because they fixed the rules ... (ducking)

Reply to
Han

Well said!

As an employer, I'd take your $72k for 8 incidents any day over a jury award of $1.5 million for each incident ... $12,000,000, or over 1300 times the price.

:)

Reply to
Josepi

Don't forget to count the heart attack your wife has, after, and the gas and time off work your family will spend visiting the old fool. What does your hospital charge to park for 1/2 hour? $10, $15 each visit?

People always use the "mind your won business" excuse but it becomes many people's business when this shit happens.

Then, there's the cost of the lawsuits and likelihood of large cash pay outs.

Finally, there's all the pain and anguish such an injury will cause. Ultimately, there really isn't any set amount of money you can apply to that.

Your 'cheap at 50 times the price' is just a pittance of the real total cost.

Reply to
Josepi

The big difference, is that I wouldn't have been spouting my mouth off beforehand, about how it's never going to happen to me.

That's the big difference between you and me. You flaunt your arrogance and "it will never happen to me" attitude with every line of text you post. That kind of presumed 'specialness' makes people watch you for your inevitable screwup.

Reply to
Dave

Not to worry, masters of the universe tend to not divulge problems when they happen so as far as we know they may or may not have any digits right now. LOL

About 25 years ago when I worked in an automobile dealership we had a loud mouth, had an answer for everything know it all, been there done that, had it better, had it worse, et., 22 year old mechanic. You know the type? ;~)

Anyway another mechanic had a technical difficulty with lowering a vehicle down from an above ground lift. Oddly the lift arm on one side began lowering before the other and they became racked, no pun intended. The lift would neither lower or raise until the weight was removed from the lower side. The big mouth mechanic mentioned no less that 10 ways to resolve the situation, none of which were used. I called our wrecker in to lift one end of the vehicle enough to relieve the tension on the lower rack and long story short the car came down with out mayhem. Immediately and almost at the top of his voice the loud mouth mechanic started taking credit for the resolution repeating how it all went down to all of us that were there, like we could not comprehend what just happened.

During his yammering he turned around to go back to his stall and but kept looking back at us. The moment he turned his head to watch where he was going he walked squarely into another lift arm which resulted in a nice red knot on his fore head. He did shut up for a moment. LOL Weeks later as he was retelling the story to some one that did not witness his accomplishment, he left out the detail of his close encounter with the adjacent lift.

Reply to
Leon

Which is when someone should have reached over and thumped him with a thumb/middlefinger thwack, right on the knot, saying "Forgot something!"

-- Creativity can solve almost any problem. The creative act, the defeat of habit by originality, overcomes everything. -- George Lois

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Which is, in fact, precisely what his parents failed to do in his formative years. :)

It's endemic to the particular culture ...

Reply to
Swingman

Don't you guys have some trees to scale?

Which is, in fact, precisely what his parents failed to do in his formative years. :)

It's endemic to the particular culture ...

Reply to
m II

See, this is a big reason I know better than to ever reply to your stupid posts.

I never once spouted my mouth off about it NEVER going to happen to me. In fact, dumb ass, I said several times that at my age, the chances are greater than ever.

Yeah, you have no brain cells that deserve protection from a NASCAR approved crash helmet.

You flaunt your

Idiot!

Reply to
Jack

So, do you wear a NASCAR approved crash helmet when you ride in a car, or do you think you are master of the universe, completely ignoring the thousands and thousands and thousands of deaths and injuries that could be prevented/minimized with just a simple preventive measure.

Yeah, the type that if the government doesn't force them to wear a NASCAR approved crash helmet when riding in a car, they won't wear one, because they think they are masters of the universe.

I assume you ran out and bought a SS to make sure you keep all your fingers, right, or are you a master?

Reply to
Jack