JUST ONCE.....

Page 6 of 7
Now the feeling is tight again?
--------- "Leon" wrote in message
I did however loose feeling on that side of my finger and there is still a small dark spot where dirt is apparently still under the skin. About five years later I noticed that I had regained all feeling in that finger again.
On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 15:12:11 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

Sounds like my left thumb :-). Not only that, I split a fingernail down the middle on my right hand about a year later. Lucky both times.
Forty years with no table saw injuries, then two in a year. None since, but I've developed a better understanding of my fallibility :-).

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 21:45:34 -0600, Steve Barker wrote:

What's got your knickers in a twist, Steve? You seem to have directed all the hate most of us reserve for Congress at the SawStop makers.
Those were not false trips - they were operator error. And we used a SawStop saw in the classroom at Woodcraft when I worked there. At least one student stuck a finger in the blade - it fired and she needed a band aid.
Yes, the patent owner's business ethics leave something to be desired in my opinion, but there's lots worse out there.
It's an election year. There must be a better target for your rants :-).

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 18:24:06 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

You say that like it's a bad thing, LB. ;)

And a new diaper?

Hard to miss, eh?
-- I have the consolation of having added nothing to my private fortune during my public service, and of retiring with hands clean as they are empty. -- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Count Diodati, 1807
On 1/22/2012 12:24 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

You're right, i probably did lash out in the wrong place. It just irks me to see so many seemingly smart people condoning government control and regulation. I'm sorry if i personally offended any persons in this group. I do get a lot out of reading the messages here.
--
Steve Barker
On 1/22/2012 7:53 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

On a woodworking group it's hard to imagine a political election being a better target than forced saw stop ownership.
I think in addition to forced ownership of saw stop crap, the hand wringers should be forced to buy/use power feeders. Much cheaper than buying a new hand, right?
Of course if you fall into the power feeder... Well, maybe a law to force these guys to plunk the plank into the feeder with the power off, go in another room with the power switch, like a dentist doing xrays....
Yeah, that's the ticket.
Jack Got Change: Supply and Demand ======> Command and Control!
On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 23:14:01 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

...not that they aren't trying, mind you.
On 1/22/2012 10:21 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Can a car company force you to buy a car? No, you can choose to not buy a car. Can a travel agency force you to book a trip? No, you can choose to not take a trip.
Neither can a saw company. You do not have to buy a saw. If you want to buy a saw that will be of your own free choice to do so, but you will have to buy one with an over head blade guard if you do.
Later on if you choose to buy a TS you might also have to get one with the Saw Stop technology o you can choose to not buy a saw. Noting is being forced on any one.
RE: Subject
First posted by a progeny of the Dumb Fuck family, Donald and Dory.
Lew
Mike Marlow wrote:

Have you been living in a cave? The SawStop folks have persuaded the Consumer Product Safety Commission to propose a federal regulation mandating SawStop (or equivalent) on table saws.
It's right there in the Federal Register. You really should keep up.

What if anything, does that proposed federal regulation say about previously owned table saws? Are they grandfathered in as being acceptable? Do we all need to buy our preferred choice of table saw before that proposed regulation comes into effect?
On 1/23/2012 10:49 AM, Dave wrote:

I know riving knifes are now required to be **UL Compliant**. I do not know the significance of this compliancy (perhaps someone can address this), but it's not hard for me to imagine what the next requirement of UL Coompliancy could be for table saws.
On 1/22/2012 9:33 PM, Jack wrote:

The fallacy of your analogy here is that if it is mandated by the government or actually willingly accepted by all manufacturers NO ONE is going to be forced to buy a saw with this technology. The choice to buy a saw with this technology or not will still be strictly up to you. I can assure you my wife will not be buying one. The simple truth is that that if you can not buy a saw with the safety device added you can elect to not buy a saw at all.
Even more aggravating to me is that right now you cannot buy a saw with out the common blade guard, a device that is way less effective that the saw stop technology and yet we buy these saws any way but only because we want to. No one is forcing us to buy these saws with the less than desirable guards, which are mandated by some authority.
On 1/22/2012 11:34 PM, Leon wrote:

You can't seriously think anyone is saying every man woman and child, living in the US, would be forced to buy a table saw are you?

Ahhh, you are saying this... Very dumb of you.

Thank god for that. I don't think I'd have room if me, the wife, and two kids were each forced to buy a table saw with (or without) saw stop technology. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Now that you cleared that up, do you think running a table saw/shaper/3hp router in a table with $300 lift would be safer with a power feeder? Should a power feeder be required with purchase of each of these machines? (Not by every person in the US, just those purchasing one of the tools that would be safer with a power feeder?
Should I be allowed to buy a (new) table saw w/o saw stop tech IF I bought a power feeder, and vice versa, or should I be required to buy both (if I were to buy a new saw, not implying everyone on earth should be required to buy any of the above tools...)
I am thinking anyone that buys a (new) Chevy Volt might also be required to buy a (new) table saw with a power feeder AND Saw Stop tech... Not sure why, but works for me.
Jack Got Change: Father knows best ===> Government knows best!
On 1/23/2012 4:02 PM, Jack wrote:

I don't think every one is thinking that but there are those that probably do. In this day and age you never know what people are thinking.

No I am not saying this but it has been said repeatedly. I am simply pointing out that you do not have to purchase a TS at all.

It might be safer but I don't think it should be mandatory as with the SawStop.

Now having said that all the moaning, groaning and voicing an opinion of why we think Gass is a SOB apparently is not working.
What those that are clearly alarmed about the situation should do is voice that if this deal goes through that every one that has a TS now and "wants" to trade up gets full credit for the saw they already have as trade in. If you have a 15 year old cabinet saw and you want a new one but the manufacturer has to pay you what you paid for that saw 15 years ago as trade in.
The manufacturers can't have their cake and eat it too.
But seriously if the mandate goes through supply and demand will dictate pricing. We'll see then how many are in favor and how many are not.
Mike Marlow wrote:

Yet.
On 1/22/2012 6:53 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

Steve you did not offend any one IMHO but you did seem to show a bit of ignorance, and please don't that that as an insult. Most all of us have been in your position and hopefully you will not ever have to experience what a few of us have. But for those of us that thought like you and have seen the light you looked and acted like an arrogant beginner, like we all have.
Regardless of where these guys that are producing this saw are coming from, and we would all be naive to think it is all for the good of the people and not to make money, they are producing a quality product that is safer than anything one the market. When it comes to my safety I am going to swallow my pride and make the smart choice.
On 1/20/2012 4:54 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

If memory serves, when they tested this on Ask This Old House the hot dog was tossed at the blade.
On 1/21/2012 11:56 AM, William F. Adams ( snipped-for-privacy@aol.com) wrote:

i'm sure we won't be seeing any videos of it mangling a hotdog or other such thing. The gubmint would never allow the truth to come out about such things.
--
Steve Barker