JUST ONCE.....

Page 1 of 7
Just once i'd like to see a demonstration of that damn hot dog being run into that $aw $top blade at the same rate that your finger or hand might if you were to slip. I'll bet it'll still cause significant damage. Those things are a joke.
--
Steve Barker

Sounds like you are looking to pick a fight.
On super slow-mo cameras the blade drops below the table before the second tooth has time to rotate into position to hit the dog. I would say at worst you would get a small gash. No way enough rotation to get to bone even if fell into it.

LMAO! yeah they EASE that hot dog in so slow the damn smell would get there first. Not trying to pick a fight. I could care less. I just hate to see more government control over stupidity.
--
Steve Barker
Well, I guess you missed the challenge where Gass stuck his own finger in. No blood... But you as a non believer won't believe. No use trying to make you believe. Not worth the effort.
On 1/20/2012 7:20 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

On 1/20/2012 7:41 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

yeah i saw that one also. he eased it in slower than the hot dog.
--
Steve Barker
I agree with you completely.
------------ "Steve Barker" wrote in message
yeah i saw that one also. he eased it in slower than the hot dog.
------------- On 1/20/2012 7:41 PM, tiredofspam wrote: Well, I guess you missed the challenge where Gass stuck his own finger in. No blood... But you as a non believer won't believe. No use trying to make you believe. Not worth the effort.

Ok, now here's how we'll solve this once and for all: Get the Mythbusters to test it.
I'm only half kidding. The sword swinging rig would be ideal to swing a hot dog into the blade at super human speed. They can track how fast the hot dog goes, put a high speed camera on the cartridge (if it can be done without wrecking the thing) and test if it works.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

<...snipped...>

I agree that the government should not mandate adoption of this technology, but the system does work as advertised. THere are a number of videos on Youtube and other sites where it is demonstrated at normal feed speeds, and more than a few testimonials too.

That's his point. It may not work as advertised. Who slowly pushes their finger into the front of the blade?
------------ "Larry W" wrote in message I agree that the government should not mandate adoption of this technology, but the system does work as advertised. THere are a number of videos on Youtube and other sites where it is demonstrated at normal feed speeds, and more than a few testimonials too.

Actually, it's entirely possible and probable. Say you're ripping an 8' sheet of wood. You don't need to visualize every inch of pushing to cut those 8'. A slow feeding of wood and cutting of your finger (until you react in pain) is entirely possible.
The accidents I have heard about tell how they didn't even know they had done it until they saw the blood. Then came the pain.
They don't react in pain.
-------------- "Dave" wrote in message

Steve Barker, The video on SawStop's web site shows the plywood moving about 6" in 3/4 of a second. That's a feed rate of about 8" per second. How fast do you feed material into your table saw? Kerry
On 1/20/2012 6:20 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

I hate to say it but it will be people with your mentality that will be the reason the government will control it. You people need this kind of government protection.
On 1/21/2012 8:20 AM, Leon wrote:

hardly
--
Steve Barker
On 1/21/2012 9:59 AM, Steve Barker wrote:

Yeah I think so.
On 1/21/2012 2:25 PM, Leon wrote:

well i guess they can try. I've got a brand new NON $aw $top saw that will more than outlast me. I'll never have to use one. I may even buy up some other good saws that can be sold after nothing but the junkassed $$ is all that's available.
--
Steve Barker
On 1/21/2012 4:13 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

You jump all over that. You du'man.
Steve Barker wrote:

having just had a run in with the object of this thread. Even if I had had one, I don't think it would have kept me from getting 12 (should have been more) stitches in two fingers (4 index, 8 ring). I was cutting slats for a swing fron a very wet treated 2x8. It was wanting to vear away from the fence, so, being very careful, I was holding it over with my left hand and pushing it through with the right hand. The 2x8 just stopped and my left hand slipped up and over the blade.
Because the 2x8 was as wet as it was, I would think the Saw-Stop would have already fired. Even if it did not, going over the top of the blade that way would make it much harder for the trigger mechanism to detect the change in resistance.
Makes a nice commercial and is something to keep the "safety" folks happy. Other than that, I cannot think of a good use for it except to generate funds for the company that makes it.
Deb
well you would have had to disable it for the wet wood.
On 1/20/2012 8:01 PM, Dr. Deb wrote:

As I understand it, the blade works on electrical signal and not resistance.
Per the website ad: "When skin contacts the blade, the signal changes because the human body is conductive." "The change to the signal activates the safety system."
If I recall, a show on cable called "Time Warp" captures action with a super slo-mo camera. They did a segment about the SawStop and used a real hand. The guy dipped his hand in ice water prior to the test, which I imagined was to slow blood flow, and cut wood allowing his hand to hit the blade and it worked. I can't find any videos right now, but searches may find results.