Just installed new doors, now warping... HELP please

Hello

I was hoping I could get some help here. I am having an old home remodeled, and had all the interior doors replaced with 6 panel everyday doors from home depot about a month ago. I live in an area with tons and tons of humidity and it's been raining quite a bit.

Recently I noticed that many of these doors which used to close on perfectly now don't close - they get 'stuck' as if they were expanding! On inspection, they appear to be normal, no abnormal curves or obvious warping, it just seems like they are getting bigger and won't close!

Does this have to do with the moisture, improper installation, lack of paint / finish, or something else? What can I do to stop it? (some of the doors are still intact).

What can I do to repair the doors which are not closing any more? If I need to replace them, will home depot take them back?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Reply to
Manish

Listen to Tom and the other experts. I just wanted to empathize with you a bit. Our cellar flooded for the first time ever thanks to the torrential rains we've been having. The humidity was 100% down there until I got the place pumped out. My unfinished pine workbench locked up like a bank vault until this morning: not a single drawer or door would open. Humidity does strange things to wood.

-- Ernie

Reply to
Ernie Jurick

I'm dealing with the same thing now. I'm on the ocean and for the past couple of weeks the humidity has been right at 100%. Everything has swollen. Sealing is not a panacea. All it does is slow down the movement. I have all of my wood sealed but after sufficient exposure to humidity it will swell. I haven't found a thoroughly adequate solution yet.

I had one door that warped excessively and that was exchanged, but just swelling is not sufficient reason to return a door.

Phil

Manish wrote:

Reply to
PC

One thing to check is to make sure that all 6 sides (2 sides, 4 edges) are fully coated with the topcoat finish - especially the top and bottom edges where the endgrain is exposed.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC