Just how lazy can we get?

Page 1 of 3

Hiya Folks, So I'm in line at the local Borg (the blue one) picking up some tubing when I notice a kid playing with ata a Black and Decker display. I figured it was a sander or something and didn't really pay much attention. Low and behold, the kid moves and I realize it's a Power Tape Measure. No shit, press the button and it pushes the tape out for you. Press another, and it retracts. And for only $24.95 you too can save yourself around 2 calories of effort avoiding the use of a "manual" tape measure..... I couldn't believe it to be honest. It's no wonder this country is so obese!!!! Cheers, cc

The TV ad, (up here in Canada at least) has been going around for six months or so. As far as I'm concerned, the tape measure is for newbie woodworkers without the experience to realize that it's just a gimmick to take their money.
As far as being obese goes, I fall into that category but for a perfectly valid reason. I like my beer. If I could buy a device for $24.95 that fetched me a beer at the push of a button, I'd probably buy it. If I'm gonna be fat, it's going to be accomplished the proper way. :)
Upscale wrote:

only one working arm, a self-extending tape measure would be very nice. I'm not sure how many woodworkers out there who are impaired that way, but my shop teacher in high school had only one good arm. He did have a little withered hand on the other side which could pull out a tape.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA
wrote in message

Ah-HA! A woman using it! How many female types do we all know that will pay any amount for the smallest return in convenience? Form over function. Now we know the target market.
--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

You are only looking at it from one side. For the average woodworker, you are right, it serves little purpose but if you are in the construction trade, it can be both a lifesaver and makes the difference between getting the measurement and giving up.

"Upscale" < snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com> wrote in message

So, what does the homeowner/foreman say when you "give up" on measuring when you're on the job?
If you can't get a measurement with a regular tape of the appropriate length, you're in the wrong trade. A tape with a little motor on it isn't going to help much.

I figure most people in the trade would be too embarrassed to use an electric or electronic tape in the field.
On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 00:08:08 -0600, "James \"Cubby\" Culbertson"

It's even worse than that.... I noticed that the local grocery store now sells pre-made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with the crusts cut off. I mean really, how much effort does it take to make a sandwich of any type, much less one that just involves scooping some goop out of a jar and spreading it on bread?

you just pop it in the toaster and voila!
Lou

I think there's a sale on dehydrated water next week...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

You know there really _is_ such a product, don't you? sold for aquariums
On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 02:14:44 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

cut off.
This has been one of the most profitable items Smuckers has ever sold.
--
Rumpty

Or maybe it's for those times when you don't have a hookable object or a person to hold the other end, and instead can push it out against what you're measuring?
I know that doesn't fit the theory, but it certainly would come in handy sometimes.
I use a folding rule, so I already have that capability.

Let out enough tape to hit your starting point and walk away from it as you let out more tape..
Personally, I'd buy a laser range-finder type tape measure before a power tape... I mean, if you're going to be lazy, why bother with all that messy steel tape? *lol*
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 09:28:33 -0700, mac davis

That assumes that you have easy (or even not-so-easy) access to both ends you are trying to measure. Think confined space, such as a 2 x 2 lumber rack for which you are trying to measure the length of one of the boards within it. Other examples abound, such as finding the length to a wall from within a confined crawl space or unaccessable attic space.

I guess you have not seen the sonar measuring devices yet. Promotes laziness AND inaccurate measurements.
I have one of the sonar meauring devices. It's accurate to within about an inch at twenty five feet. Plenty accurate enough (and a big time saver) when I was measuring the house up and drawing the floorplan.

Yeah I see it's value for close but not for cutting.