Just got some wood (AC vs. CDX)

I bought a 4'x8' sheet of plywood from the local lumberyard over lunch. This plywood makes that stuff they sale in HomeDepot look like particleboard. In fact that HD stuff had particleboard or MDF in it, whereas this has 5 layers of alternating solid wood. Plus the layers are distinct, whereas at HD I had trouble differentiating since they were so thin and rough on the edges.
Anyway, I bought 3/4" AC Fir. It was $40. They had some 3/4" CDX Fir for ~$20. Why is the AC so much more? I really felt like I should have just bought the CDX and sanded it. Any reason I couldn't save $20 by buying the CDX?
--
Thank you,

dnoyeB wrote:

One more question. This wood was stored outside in the cold in Detroit, MI which is dry and about 45degrees F. The cabinet will be constructed in the basement of a house which is about 70 degrees with a humidifier.
How long should I let the wood sit in the basement before I get to work on it?
--
Thank you,

dnoyeB wrote:

Which to buy depends on the end use. The differences are mainly in the number and size of knots in the face veneers. Here is a link with descriptions and photos.
http://www.cwc.ca/products/plywood/grades.php
Chris
AC Ply has no knots on one side, but might have some imperfections on the other. AC is also sanded on both sides. CDX can have knots and voids on both sides and is unsanded. --dave

Dave Jackson wrote:

Yea that was it. I had written the rating info down in my PDA before I went shopping. But the sanding threw me off and I thought the difference was in the smoothness and forgot about the knots. There are some plugs on one side of the panel. Ill have to check the other on my way home.
--
Thank you,

Dave Jackson wrote:

Well turns out it has no knots because they were filled. Other side has some unfilled knots and is not as smooth.
--
Thank you,