Just got a bandsaw

Page 6 of 6
On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 06:50:11 -0500, Leon wrote:

The O/P bought a 14" bandsaw, not whatever monolithic monster you have :-).

On 7/12/2011 6:50 AM, Leon wrote:

LOL... I know but the same principal applies, wider blade, fewer teeth.
If I had just gotten a new bandsaw, the first thing I would do is get a "riser" for it and increase the throat height by 6" (that comes in so handy for so many things) Obviously, when you do that you need a new blade - I agree with the "Wood Slicer" from Hightland Hardware recommendation. I have tried others and have had none that touched the way the Wood Slicer performs. As far as releasing the tension, I never do and have had no excess wear on the tires. I have had the saw over 10 years I am still on the same set of tires and they show no grooving at all at all.
Deb

I'm seriously considering getting the riser kit. I know it changes the blade size, so I'll probably use what I've got to get a feel for how the saw works.
Does your saw get used on a regular basis? That seems to be one of the variables no one mentions when talking about releasing the tension.
Puckdropper
On 7/12/2011 4:21 PM, Dr. Deb wrote:

FWIW it is good to hear your tires are still ok after being tensioned for 10 years. BUT you release the tension to also take the strain off of the BS frame, bearings, and blade.