Just got a bandsaw

Larry, just because people disagree with stuff and are not afraid to put it in writing doesn't mean they are trolls. krw is not a troll, J. Clark is not a troll? Trolls always use fake names, are not at all interested in anything related to the newsgroup, and often work in teams, and/or take on multiple personalities for the sole purpose of disrupting a group. 99% of the time you can spot a real troll easily by the name, and the content of the post. If you think these two are trolls, you need to think harder.

It's true that ignoring trolls, or anyone you disagree with, will make your on line life quicker and easier... But boring as hell.

Reply to
Jack Stein

I had no problems before. I can't say I'm thrilled with versions 5.0, but problems are very minor, and not unexpected in any .0 release.

For example, in the past, I could right click on your name in the upper right of your *opened* message, and the drop down menu included "create filter from..." That no longer works (for me).

The "create filter from..." is still there, but it is greyed out and doesn't do anything. Same with the drop down in the message tool bar when in an *opened* message.

I have to use the message tool bar drop down from a *closed* message in the message list.

I haven't had any of the problems Larry is having however.

Reply to
Jack Stein

Not sure about the filter, but the "delete" item in the menu bar is greyed out and does not work in TB 5.0 when in a newsgroup. It is not greyed out, and does work when in an email account. This is by design far as I know?

Is yours different?

5.0 here...
Reply to
Jack Stein

When I got my planer the segmented head was packed with some god awful grease goop that was almost impossible to get out of every nook and cranny of a segmented 72 tooth head. They could have sprayed the damned thing with Topcote and I wouldn't have needed to spend 4 hours digging out grease. They used a ton of it too, and probably would have been cheaper and easier to use Topcote, or similar item. I nicked a finger doing it as well... I shoulda sued the bastards...

Reply to
Jack Stein

I am using TB 5.0.

To delete a sender/poster, click Menu, message drop down, choose Create filter from message.

In the window that drops opens choose the obvious.

Then once the filter is created choose from the Menu, Tools, Message Filters.

Choose the filter, and at the bottom of this window open the drop down " Run filters on" and select the correct group. Choose run now.

The key is to ensure you have chosen the correct group.

Not a real quick way but it works.

Reply to
Leon

Topcote is slick as can be, far slicker than bare cast iron, slicker than waxed iron. When I bought it I was waffling too, but the tool store I bought it from only had TopCote. After this thread, it seems they made the right decision for me...

Reply to
Jack Stein

And if you like TopCote you might love Empire TopSaver. They originally produced TopCote and have in recent years started making a similar product again. I used Empire Top Saver, or what ever they called it, back in the early 80's. It as a superior top slicker upper and as a side benefit, one which they did not claim, it prevented rust. Now they make the rust prevention claim.

I personally TopCote now, it is about 2/3's the cost of the Empire product.

Reply to
Leon

Same here.

Yes, I know all that, but in the past, deleting a message didn't work in a newsgroup. I'm asking about the menu bar right below the tool bar. You can customize it however you want, and one of the items is delete. This is greyed out when in a newsgroup so you cannot delete the message. I would think deleting a message via a filter wouldn't work either. I'll have to try it on someone that looks like a troll... Mr Pounder, yeah that looks shaky enough...

...Yep, now the filter deletes the message just as you say, yet and still, the delete tool is greyed out in the menu bar....

I hope the sucker was a troll, cause the message sure enough is gone... I prefer to mark them as read myself, just in case.

Reply to
Jack Stein

I don't use my tools as much as I once did, but it seems to me that Top Cote works about the same as the 3M stuff I used in the 70's and 80's, but does not seem as durable.(subject to aged memory) When I used my tools every day, it lasted about 6 months.(also subject to aged memory)

TopCote seems a bit less, and I use my tools far less. Still, I bought two cans a few years ago, and still have some left in one can, and a whole can untouched. Takes me all of 10 seconds to recoat my table saw, my biggest table, so I'm more than happy with TopCote. I paid 9.99 a can when I bought it.

Reply to
Jack Stein

I don't think you're ever to get them to stop using cosmoline on iron that has to make the great crossing from China, lashed to the deck of a ship.

Reply to
krw

Pretty much the opposite of my experience (Woodcraft only carried T-9). OTOH, there was almost a consensus here, at the time, that Boeshield was better at protecting metal. Boeing apparently thought so, too.

Reply to
krw

Damn! I have a 16" Mini-Max and I bought it brand new for $1500 back in 2002. They sure have bumped the prices since then! I don't think they've ever made a 14" bandsaw.

Reply to
Steve Turner

Boeshield is good at protecting metal, as long as you don't wipe it off. Unfortunately in a humid environment you have to wipe it all off or IMHO it feels grabby. Wipe it all off and it is no longer going to protect. I suppode in a less humid environment it works out better for some.

Reply to
Leon

Ohhhhhh, That deletes e-mail.

This

Click on/Hi light your in box, and the Delete button will no longer be greyed out.

Reply to
Leon

I bought my Laguna in 2006 IIRC, I paid about $600-$700 less. I bet Ferrari's have gone up too. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Yes, the inbox is email, newsgroups are a separate account and the delete button is greyed out in newsgroups, supposedly because you cannot delete messages from a newsgroup. This was consistent in both the menu bar and in the message filters, but in 5.0, it's no longer consistent, you can delete them with a filter, but not from the menu bar. A minor issue, bigger one is I can no longer create a filter from an opened message.

Reply to
Jack Stein

Nicely put!

It's not the people that are the trolls, it's the particular post.

Larry's post was a troll. This may be typical. YMMV

Glad somebody repeated it. I would have never seen it.

It's true that ignoring trolls, or anyone you disagree with, will make your on line life quicker and easier... But boring as hell.

Reply to
Josepi

right... make the victim guilty.. brilliant, not!

/sawn

"trolls" of the kind following you up? That edjut gets boring real fast. "xSpurt on everything" he i s well known as.

"X" being....

You are correct in saying "boring as hell" if one cannot handle a troll or two as _everyone_ does this :->

george

Reply to
George Watson

I did this to my bandsaw table and you are absolutely correct.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I retreated my bandsaw table the other day to try to get the results you guys are talking about and you are both correct. What is on there now is definitely slightly tacky and is way less slick than the bare cast iron top.

What I have been using that doesn't need any other effort than spraying is Superlube Dri-Film. But I suspect this product may have silicone, which is supposed to be a no-no for wood contact.

Reply to
-MIKE-