Just finished my new router table

And the best part is that most of the materials were free! The only part of this setup that I paid for is the plastic for the insert, and the router itself. The top is two old cabinet doors with the paint removed, and laminated together, then covered with scrounged laminate. It's sitting on a base that used to be a cash register stand. I'm planning on building a self-aligning fence, and that'll be made from all scrounged materials, also.
Now, if someone would just tell me how to post pics on the binaries group, I'll post some as soon as the fence is done. The reason I think my table might be of interest is that I took a different approach with the insert- instead of using the entire sheet of plastic (clear acrylic, I think- I bought it years ago), I took the handles off of the fixed base of my router (bosh fixed/plunge set), and made the insert and opening just large enough to pass the router, with a 1/2" lip to support it flush. This gave me enough plastic left over to build in zero clearance inserts at no extra cost that automatically fit flush with the insert.
It was also a bit of a challenge to figure out how to route a matching opening for an irregularly shaped insert, since I only had flush trim bits to work with. I ended up cutting a hole in a piece of scrap 3/4 ply about 1/4" bigger than the insert, then greasing the insert, taping it in place, and filling the gap with Durhams' rock hard water putty. When this had cured, I had an almost perfect match, that was easily adjusted to by slightly scraping the dried water putty (I wisely tried it out on some scrap stock before cutting my table). I used this to make a 3/4" pattern to cut the actual table (I know, I went through a bunch of scrap, but it was all trash to begin with, so I don't feel guilty :).
Anyhow, I'm happy, cause now I have a better router table, with a better router than the one I've been using for the past year or so, and at very little cost. Using scrap is a big ol' game to me, and whenever I get something good out of a bunch of scrap stock, I feel like I've won the game that day :)
Steve

Wow, what a kick ass idea. Post a picture of it when you can. Doesn't it give you a sense of satisfaction to use scrap wood for something useful? That's one reason I got a kick ass lathe. Now every scrap can be transformed into a ass kicking little project.
jim_wilson_rocks snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (jim wilson) wrote in message SNIP>

Well hell Jim, between this and your biscuit cutter post you're really kicking some ass today.
Dave Hall
You didn't even mention his kick ass post about making kick ass dovetail joints with the kick ass Leigh jig.
--
There are no stupid questions.
There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.