Just finished a hardware storage cabinet

I decided it was time to organize my screws and small hardware, so I built a storage unit for them. It is kind of an apothecary cabinet style. I've posted pictures in a.b.p.w or you can see it here:
http://home.mindspring.com/~hobbesct/Hardware_Storage.htm
hey would you mind sharing what sorting method you thought of? I got a big bucket worth of fasteners. 10 lbs worth of nails alone. jugs galore. 50 bins It would be nice if I could say a place for everything and everything in its place. The mind boggles! Nice work btw.
-
says...

Thanks. I'm not sure if there is anything special about the sorting method, just a different box for each size screw. It probably wouldn't work all that well for large quantities of single sizes. But I have lots of different size screws and misc. hardware in relatively small quantities (one or two boxes each), so I wanted a method for organizing them.
-Mark
On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 17:55:29 -0500, Mark Blum

I found some of those plastic hanging bins that fit a 1-lb box of nails/screws/whatever. Since that's what I buy almost exclusively, I just drop the box into the bin, label the front, and when I empty the box, I buy another one. The bins all ride in rails so it's easy to move them around and sort by size if you want and you never have to dig through a pile of boxes or worse, a can of random screws and nuts and nails, to find what you want.

Mark, Either you are a obsessive compulsive or have way too much time on your hands! However, it is a GREAT idea and I plan to steal it as soon as time permits! Nice work.
Dave
I'd like to start a thread on this. How to logic this up? Start with something common to all, and lastly individuals. Not vise versa, or maybe. Then again....
-
pigeon holes and pink flamingos. I hate the other cabinet over there syndrome.
-
says...

Thanks Dave. Not quite obsessive-compulsive, but I do like to have an organized shop. I had a few days off and wanted to tackle a project that would fit the timeframe. I've had the plastic boxes for a few months, so I decided to finally begin this one.
-Mark
Mark,
Wonderful job!!! Any hints on the supplier for the plastic boxes?
Trace
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

Thanks Trace.
I found several places on-line that carried similar boxes. You can search for "flex-hinge" plastic boxes. I purchased mine from a company called Tap Plastics:
http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid "9&
They aren't that expensive and come in multiple sizes.
-Mark
Mark,
Wonderful job!!! Any hints on the supplier for the plastic boxes?
Trace
Mark Blum wrote:

Well, that's it. Now I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that I am a complete slob. Most of my fasteners are in half-gallon milk jugs with a hole cut in the side.
Organized? Well, there's mostly screws and bolts in that one...
-Phil Crow