Just broke down and got some Stickley

I have finally let go of the dream of building all our furniture. I just don't have the time. I can crank out a nice piece every year, but I can't be depended upon for anything significant under a deadline. Bike racks, sheds, medicine cabinets, etc. I'm pretty speedy with, but not the big stuff like armoires.

Anyway, we happened upon a gently used Stickley dining set on Craigslist. We got the mission table, eight chairs, and buffet with china top. We paid a little less than 1/3 retail, which is still somewhat outrageous, but technically a good deal as it won't really depreciate from here. The seller gave us the original receipts, and it was all $14,200 new. Yikes!

The set is about 6 years old, and man is it nicely done. The previous owners pretty much ate at their bar and said they served fewer than 5 meals on this set, which is just a crying shame. We'll get use out of it weekly, and more in once the kids get past the "let's stick a fork in between the leaves" stage.

The pins, through tenons, quarter sawn oak, solid wood, the lines, it's all about like I'd want to do it if I had the time. It really is nice stuff. I'd never be able to compete with the leaded glass on the china cabinet. It's beautiful.

So, I'm a little torn. I feel bad that I didn't get the opportunity to make a set like this, but it really is nice, and I don't think I could do a significantly better job myself. It does free me up for some more personal projects, like an upcoming dollhouse for my daughter,.

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Reed

Yep, I've let go of fixing everything myself, myself. With all the rentals we've got, it just cannot be done. But I'm still set on building what we need.... Tom

Reply to
tom

You may not have intended to gloat, but you are gloating. You suck, you hear me??? Suck, suck, suck!!!

1/3 of retail.... jeeezz
Reply to
Robatoy

My dining chairs are genuine Stickley, from NY, so I know exactly what you mean.

BTW, you suck!

Reply to
B a r r y

No, I pretty much intended it as a gloat, but I wasn't sure if it would be recieved as a gloat here :)

"I just paid $4500 for 120 board-feet of quartersawn white oak! (and some stain)"

lol

My wife and I are still > >

Reply to
Mike Reed