Just a Guy Making Chess Pieces (Video)

Viewing full screen is recommended. http://wimp.com/chesspieces /
On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 11:39:15 -0500, kimosabe wrote (in message

Very good! tom koehler
--
I will find a way or make one.

0:35 would have gotten me no END of shit from my woodshop teacher.
Father Haskell wrote:

Yeah, I just read in a book last week that anyone doing that is destined for a trip to the ER.
He definitely should have had some hearing protection there!
Even Seattle people would know better.
------------------- "Bill" wrote in message wrote:

Carving without looking at what you're doing, one hand in front of the chisel? I've no doubt that skew could shave hair from his arm. Seems to be the only tool he uses.
Then he goes inside and sharpens the chisel with a slow-speed motorized wetstone grinder so he can show the public how poor he can look.
---------- "Father Haskell" wrote in message
Carving without looking at what you're doing, one hand in front of the chisel? I've no doubt that skew could shave hair from his arm. Seems to be the only tool he uses.
On 10/28/2011 08:39 AM, kimosabe wrote:

That's pretty impressive. One tool, and turning beads with his foot. Kinda humbling...
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
Kevin Miller wrote:

It made me ponder that people were probably a lot better at using what they had, than we might give them credit for, centuries ago. Does anyone know how the pyramids were made yet?

Remember, that guy has probably already made 1,370 chess sets, so he has a bit of experience with it by now. And way back when, a person's job was their only job for their entire life, so vast experience was had by all by the time they were 25, starting from a very young age.

One brick at a time.
-- Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.
Poured concrete bricks constructed from remote stone quarry dust.
-------------- "Bill" wrote in message It made me ponder that people were probably a lot better at using what they had, than we might give them credit for, centuries ago. Does anyone know how the pyramids were made yet?
On 10/30/2011 8:42 PM, m II wrote:

With a hand powered lathe?
--
Steve Barker

Nope.
Some French chemist suggested that, but no one who has examined the stones agrees with him. The blocks were cut from limestone in a nearby quarry. Aside from the fact that it is trivial to distinguish between natural stone and concrete, some of the stones were set in mortar which would hardly be the case had they been cast in place.
Current thinking is that a metric buttload of independent contractors working in teams were coordinated by people whom I would regard as among the world's greatest project engineers.
For instance, the massive bakery that supplied the workers with bread consisted of numerous small one-man bakeries.
--
FF

Here's a video of a guy who can single-handedly move Stone Henge size blocks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCvx5gSnfW4&feature=related

kimosabe wrote:

Cool! I was moved (really)! : )
Thanks for posting!
Bill
He's almost "off his block!"
------- "Bill" wrote in message Cool! I was moved (really)! : )
Thanks for posting!
Bill

Start with a *big* rock and carve away anything that doesn't look like a pyramid.

If you look closely you can see that he chips the top bead while turning it. But then he just carves that into one of the flats on the top of the king. That's a sign of a true craftsman, turning an error into a feature!
--
FF

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

He had me convinced by the time he started manipulating this chisel with one foot! : )