Just a few thou can ruin a joint.

Page 1 of 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
¾xGi9HbLSM
Neat demonstration of the need for woodworking accuracy.
Add pictures here
✖

Scratch that. Make that "The advantages of woodworking accuracy"
Add pictures here
✖
Where is the glue going to go?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
¾xGi9HbLSM
Neat demonstration of the need for woodworking accuracy.
Add pictures here
✖

In the joint oc course. If some squeeses out that is perfectly fine. The thinner the glue film the better.
Add pictures here
✖
The joint, promoted, has no space for glue. How about 0 thickness? Would that be the strongest?
I guess there would be some absoption (or would the joint fit together due to swelling?)

Add pictures here
✖

If you are glueing up two panels edge to edge and clamp up that union, how thick is that glue line? Naturally you would want to put a minimal amount but complete coverage layer in the bottom of the lap joints, but any more than enough to cover is too much. Earlier this year as mentioned in another post on this thread I was working on a project with 96 lap joints. These joints were 1/2" wide and 3/64" deep for a combined thickness of 3/32". The joints were tight enough to hold the assembly together with out glue as proven by the test fit. Applying the proper amount of glue posed no problem with fit. Had there been any weak joints the 8 assemblies would have flown apart during their 3-4 trips through the drum sander.
Add pictures here
✖
The video demo link provided showed a tight fitting joint that encompassed each piece of wood, not a lap joint or "edge to edge" where any amout of adhesive would fit.
If you put wood glue on the insdie surfaces of one of these tight joint "pockets" the wood would likely swell and the joint would no longer fit together. I am sure most experienced wood workers have experiences this trauma at some point after doing very precise machining and then gluing. A mallet and prayer comes to mind in these cases...LOL
Agreed and point taken on the thinness of the glue in the joint, though.

Add pictures here
✖

Wake up to the environment and smell the troll shit.
Nale
Add pictures here
✖

Bite Me
Add pictures here
✖
Just our local Usenet troll that like to follow me around for the last six or seven years.
Goes by hopper, Tazoar and a miriad of other names in different groups. Prides himself in how many groups he can "bring to their knees"

✖

The colonial guy sure has you doing loops. I am watching. Comical how he has set you up in your own noose. Comical in how you walked right into it. No, look at your bowel, Janice. My dear departed wife spent months in agony before passing away. All down to you with your crank posts on glutens. Whilst it took me time to find you, I do have you now. Nailed. I have little to do in the evenings now. Your legacy haunts you, now.
Nale
Add pictures here
✖

The top dog had first chomp. Dickhead!
Not a good feeling being shown as the weakest link, huh? Troll feeder.
Nale
Add pictures here
✖
"Nale Bangha" wrote:

Your mom pissed on your Wheaties this morning, I see.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖
On 11/4/10 9:18 AM, Josepi wrote:

Myth.
No, did you watch the video?

The joint fits. The strength is in the joint, due in part to the tightness of the fit. The glue is simply holding the two pieces together.
--

-MIKE-

✖

My handcut dovetails genrally have zero clearance... but they stay together.
Leaving room for glue is overrated. ;~)
John
Add pictures here
✖

It's an excuse for poor craftsmanship. :-)
--

-MIKE-

✖

Even if it's really good glue? Even if Festool made glue and had a Festool Psycron glue dispenser with metric gap filling settings?
✖
On 11/4/10 4:36 PM, RicodJour wrote:

You don't need glue with Festool saws. They leave behind a hook and loop surface that bonds, instantly, when the joint is put together.
--

-MIKE-

✖

I hear the new L-N glue will allow the various pieces of wood to grow together seamlessly.
John
Add pictures here
✖

That called a graft joint.