Jummywood anyone?

Well - it looks like I've found my way back home. It's been a while guys and gals. I thought that perhaps the "Subject Line" might perk up a few old sets of eyes. I'm still in contact with a few of my old woodbashers out there - (Hey there Nahmie!) ;-) I've been in Vegas now for almost 2 years. A few of you out there may remember Harvey Klene - a great friend who gave me some assistance a couple of years ago and got me out here. What a shop he built! The envy of anything I've ever seen.

I'm a project manager for a very large plumbing contractor out here and the construction is phenominal! Las Vegas is growing by leaps and bounds. It's also a great place to live as well. My life has come full circle and things cannot be better. The money is great, the living is great, and I've actually been given a new start in life.

I actually built a hinged top coffee table - still no major tools, but with a cabinet scraper, a good circ saw I kept, an actual handplane or two, old Jummy used oak. That's right boys and girls . . . OAK. I know it was against my better judgement but I did it anyway. Please keep in mind that the Minwax was still there! LOL!

Just dropped in to say hello and hope everyone is doing great.

Take care.

Jummy

Reply to
Minwax Mac

NOT YOU again... LOL

Welcome back

Reply to
Leon

Hey Leon. You still in Houston? I was wondering if anyone was still on the wreck that even knew what Jummywood was? LOL! Hope all is well with you and the family.

Jim

Reply to
Minwax Mac

I sure know what it is! I sure miss some of the "old" wood dorkers that were here a few years back! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Still here and should become a land mark soon. LOL.

Reply to
Leon

wellcome home jums. glad things are lookin up. soooooooo when ya gittin married? lmao... stick around a while. this place be a changin but it aint dead yet.

skeez

Reply to
skeezics

.. snip

Good to hear from you again; glad things are working out well for you.

Mark & Juanita

Good to see you back. And glad things are looking better for you.Some of us still remember jummywood. BTW how did your trade go with the lad from down under? :-) Jim

Reply to
Jim Northey

Reply to
Lou Newell

Old Jummy Wood is the wood that's good It's the wood we'd all use if we could Jummy tried to tell us but was misunderstood So he moved far away

(good to see your voice again, jums)

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

Welcome home!

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Much of a call for custom humidors in Las Vegas?

Glad to hear that things have settled down and life's treating you well, or at least well enough to start using oak (who'd believe it would ever happen!)

So having moved from humid heat to dry heat, does dry heat really feel cooler than humid heat?

At this rate, Black Sheep should show up this time next year followed by O'Dean (sp?)

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Dunno about O'Deen, but keep eyes open for the "Duke of Burl"(nee Sheppy). Egads, even Phully may show up!

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Yeah dry heat does feel cooler than humid heat. Your sweat actually evaporates.

Reply to
Leon

Hey!

Good to hear you are doing well. I am *way* to busy these days to post like I used to, but I still check in every now and then to see how things are going around here.

I need to start writing stories again, there is a whole new crop of fish to reel in....

David.

Reply to
David F. Eisan

I can absolutely attest to that fact. I spent 17 years in Dallas; during the summer, when it was hot (over 90 to 100F), it was absolutely miserable. The only thing a fan in the shop did was increase the blast furnace effect, just blowing more hot air on the victim. Have spent the last 7 years in Tucson. When it is hot (100 to 105), I can turn a fan on in the shop, open the windows, get the air circulating and work with little discomfort. When the "monsoon" hits around July, the humidity goes up and the fan is no longer effective, that's when I turn on the AC. The other difference I've noticed here is that a number of places have awnings or other coverings up between buildings -- walking under the shade makes a huge difference. In Dallas (and I'm sure it's even worse in higher humidity places like Houston), a shade makes just about zero difference when it's hot out -- you walk outside and are floored by the stifling heat whether you are under cover or not, it's still really hot, sticky, and uncomfortable.

Mark & Juanita

Moab, Utah a few years ago was 108 at noon and felt like 80 in Houston.

Reply to
Leon

Welcome back. I just milled up some Jummy for a door casing. Hard to explain the look on the guys face when you ask for clear Jummy stock.

Dave

Teamcasa

Would you believe that I just opened up a Jummy flavor air freshener?

Reply to
Leon