Joy of simplicity

One cheap-ass cable channel has been showing NYW episodes from 1991. When I watched the first one I soon felt a different attitude than I have to the last few years. I realized that I was somehow more "comfortable" with what Norm was doing because he was (at least 15 years ago) closer to me in technical standards. He was using a drum sanding attachment to his drill press, and a morticing attachment. He belt-sanded panels. His jointer wasn't big enough to handle a sequoia. His featherboards were laughably ragged with teeth missing. In all, I could "relate" because he was making furniture more than he was operating wowser machinery.

Bring on 1992.

FoggyTown

Reply to
foggytown

What????? You didn't see the Shop Smith, the craftsman saw and the other antiques?+

Reply to
Brent Beal

I was just intrigued how "bare" the shop looked without all the new doo-dahs. Not even a tenoning jig to be seen! He was making tenons with TS and BS.

FoggyTown

Reply to
foggytown

What's so weird about that?

I cut tenons with just a table saw and a shop made crosscut sled. I fine tune them, one at a time, with a shoulder plane.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y