Jorgensen Cabinet Masters - avoiding the stick?

All of the stories about these things sticking have me wondering. Why can't I just wrap a little tape around the bar, to prevent the clamps from sliding together? Means I'd never be able to close the clamp completely, but seems to me a half inch gap from "zero" is reasonable on a 48" clamp...
Someone HAD to figure this out, sometime! Tom >Subject: Jorgensen Cabinet Masters - avoiding the stick?

Someday, it'll all be over....

That will work, maybe even one of those rubber magnets similar to those that are in the old refrigerator magnetic gaskets.. It would be nice to pull the magnet off so that you could have the advantage of closing the clamp further if necessary. The clamp is not likely to get stuck if you do not let it slam shut or purposely close it all the way and crank down on the handle.
/grump mode/ If I am buying a bunch of Taiwanese clamps at a ww show (and I have many of these) for a modest price, I will apply tape, grommets, magnets, rubber bands, bits of glue, etc to fix a problem. I will even apply a belt sander or grinder to get them to slide all the way to the end. On the other hand, if I am paying good money for supposedly good product, I think that said product should be usable out of the box. /exit grump mode/.     mahalo,     jo4hn
js wrote:

As a public service, I will offer to dispose of any unusable products you or anyone else may have received from the Woodcraft/Jorgensen clamp sale. In fact, I will pay a modest handling and packaging charge as well as actual shipping. Please contact me if you need help with this disposal problem.
At you service. Alex
--
Alex
Until you have used one you should not form an opinion... If you use this as an excuse not to buy an American made clamp versus the German one, don't even look at a Bosch Jigsaw until the new versions come out.

You mean "<grump>" ? :)

Agreed. But I own them now... :)

You mean "</grump>" ?

actually, it's '<attitude mode="grump">' *snicker* <guffaw type="muffled">
Having never owned one of these clamps I thought I'd take this opportunity to make a fool of my self. In reviewing pictures of the clamps, I see there is a screw device to tighten the clamp once placed. It is possable to just screw in the jaw a 1/4" when not in use, then if the jaws slide together and stick just unloosen the threaded handle?
Erik

I tried to ask the same thing (though not as clearly as you did) earlier, but got no response. Sure makes sense to me.
Carrying on the theme of this thread, I found that we have some Waterford crystal subject to a similar serious design flaw -- it breaks when dropped on a hard surface. While I have pointed out that the plastic cups from McD's have been better engineered to remove this flaw, my wife still sees offsetting advantages to the Waterford. As a result, we just have to take special precautions to compensate for its design flaws.
--
Alex

PS, while I wrote the above to poke fun at the "serious design flaws" claim for something that may stick when mishandled, I am not in any other way making the CM-Waterford and K-McD analogies.
--
Alex

Psssst. They aren't being mishandled when they stick. Unless you somehow consider sliding the head down to the end to store it "mishandling" it.
LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net

Psssst. You don't know what you are talking about... ROTFLMA
On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 21:04:38 GMT, "Leon"

If it makes you feel better to think that, go ahead.
LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net

ROTFLMAO.... That is absolutely correct analogy.