Jorgensen 3724HD Clamps at Home Depot

Was at HD today to use up a gift card and saw that they had Jorgensen

24" clamps - the heavier duty ones - for $12.47 a piece. Looked on amazon and they have them for $19.79. I think sometimes places don't realize that the clamps marked "3724" are different from the ones that are "3724 HD".

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

You might also want to keep an eye on the Jorgensen web site, they often have sale pricing on clamps. The shorter lighter duty ones are on sale in 4 packs for about $20.

Leon

Smart woodworkers know it when they see a good clamp deal. I have quite an investment of Bessey K-body clamps. Bought more when Home Depot had them on clearance. I have two "Made in China" clamps and cuss them out everytime I use it. The 12" Bessey F clamps get used a lot. Buying clamps is like buying shoes, try before you buy.

I'd be more inclined to buy a pack with two 4" and two 6" for $20. Can't have enough non-China clamps.

Reply to
Phisherman

State) and they just aren't worth a damn. Broken handles, broken heads, not smooth acting at all. Once again, buy the best and only cry once.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Anybody have an opinion on Irwin Parallel Clamps? They 'look' like they should be okay....

Reply to
Robatoy

Anybody have an opinion on Irwin Parallel Clamps? They 'look' like they should be okay....

I have heard nothing about them. I do own 3 brands of parallel clamps however. Originally I started off with Jorgensen Cabinetmasters when they were first introduced. The early ones were constructed out of aluminum in the screw clamp head. I found a deal for about $17 each and stocked up. They have had problems with the aluminum breaking but have all been replaced at no charge with the newer iron versions. I like them a lot.

I have a pair of Jet parallel clamps and they are loaded with features but are not quite as smooth to operate as the Cabinetmasters.

I have used Bessey's in the past and IMHO they were OK. I preferred my Cabinetmasters smoother action, larger clamping surface and larger handles.

My latest additions are a pair of the new Bessey Revo clamps. These clamps are cool. They now have many of the same features of the Cabinetmasters and they seem to operate more smoothly. I am still not impressed with the foot on the end of the clamp that enables you to adjust the clamp with out lifting the clamp from the work surface. It is still stationary and only works on the end of the clamp bar, the Cabinetmaster and Jet feet are adjustable to fit anywhere along the bar. This is good if the clamp is longer than the work surface.

Something to consider when changing brands, is the height of the steel bar. If you use a mix of brands to clamp together several boards to form a panel you need to pay attention to the location of the clamps. The steel bars on the Bessey clamps is about 1/8"-1/4" taller than the "equal in height" Jet and Cabinetmaster clamps. I would presume that the reason that Bessey did not change the height of their bars while pretty much changing everything else is so that they would match the height of the older style Bessey clamps. Can't say I blame them for that.

Reply to
Leon

In the parallel clamps that I have I like them in this order:

- Jet

- Bessey

- Irwin

- Others (several off brands)

i will buy more Jet, Bessey and Irwin and none of the off brands.

Cheers

Doug

Reply to
Doug Houseman