Jointing or Biscuits

Page 4 of 5

I remember the movie... I think it came out in the 30s sometime. I think it was called
"The D.A. Called It Murder" or something along those lines. ;^)
No ship ever sails anywhere with 3 captains. Bet the barbecue and whiskey portion of working together would be grand to attend, though!
Robert

Yup, a team like that would need a manager.

LOL, Well I was always a manager from the age 21 but I believe much of my success was hinged upon team work. Although I was usually the one in charge I always enjoyed being elbow to elbow with those I worked with on a daily basis. When everyone is on the same page things seem to fall into place. Experience helps a lot too. ;~)
"Leon" wrote

Actually, I was kinda hoping I'd get to play bass with SRV ... but hell, that would work too! :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Could anyone afford he three of you? /:o)
Dave in Houston

SRV??? I'd think playing bass with LL ranks pretty high up there. ;~)

Oh~ Stevey, I'll not help you with LL. LOL
"Lee Michaels" wrote

LOL ... you laugh! My first requirement for taking the job, since it's on a ten acre tract, was "fence repair" on the part of the owner!
Actually, you're onto something. I understand that on some of these straw bale houses that have been demolished after 75 years or so, the horses in the next pasture went right to work on consuming the hay as if it had been baled the week before.
... supposedly true.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

So...what is it, straw or hay?
"Robatoy" wrote

Since straw bale compression from roof load is not going to be an issue due to the 'post and beam roof' support in this particular house, apparently it really doesn't make much difference.
From what I understand, most proponents prefer a rice straw, but locally grown hay is also usable. There are apparently purist, as in any endeavor, who will argue the merits of one over the other, but I will only be involved in that decision if the client can't make it themselves ... but I have taken steps to inform myself in case that happens.
There are apparently folks who set their baling equipment to your spec as far as size, whether two or three wire, and the amount of compression needed for the project, all settable parameters in modern baling equipment. I spent my youth on a farm, baled, loaded and fed _lots_ of hay in my time, so I have a pretty good concept of what a good bale of hay/straw should be.
Another thing about this particular engineered "infill" method is that I get to put the roof up first ... so there will be a place to store straw/hay prior to laying the walls in. Moisture, other than the moisture content in the straw itself, is a problem until you get the walls sealed, which in this case will probably be with a stucco type material on screen, just as in traditional construction, except it will cover both interior and exterior.
Fun, hay? :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Large or small round bales?
Dave in Houston
"Dave in Houston" wrote

Good, old fashioned square bales ... the kind you threw up on the truck/wagon by hand - and ended up with that physique the girls all admired back then ... probably 2 wire.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

I haven't seen a wire baler in over 40 years. Twine, yes.
scott

Absolutely interesting, to say the least. Are you planning to do any traditional (mortise, wood peg) type joints? What about fire code?
I'm still messing with a plan to build something functional and nice as a wood shop, but won't consider building anything without Morris' solar panels. I'm even thinking of taking down some shutters on each side of the South facing windows of our house, and replacing them with some sort of stylish solar panel. I really like my current shop and its location, but the multiple thousands of dollars it took last year to heat and cool the joint (mostly heating) is wearing thin real quick.... AND it is well insulated.
There are always 'purists' to the point of making me ill. The ones that talk about 'fresh' tofu... wtf is 'fresh' tofu?... but I digress..
"Robatoy"
There are always 'purists' to the point of making me ill. The ones that talk about 'fresh' tofu... wtf is 'fresh' tofu?... but I digress..
---------------------
Fresh tofu is even more disgusting and slimy than regular tofu.
Glad to help.
"Lee Michaels" wrote

And, the damn stuff just won't stay on the BBQ grill!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

I think that makes it illegal in Texas, and probably many other states as well!
Robert

Suuuure it will.
You have to freeze a chunk of it. Then high heat, very quickly. Like baked Alaska. If you do it right, you'll a nice crispy outside and a yummy frozen centre... ohh nummy-num-nums...

Might try feeding to a cat, but never a dog<G>
Lew

NO dog would eat tofu... it's just not done.