Jointing needed in Indianapolis

Anybody in the Indy area have an 8" or wider jointer that I could use for about an hour some time in the next week or two? I have a few really spectacularly figured boards that are about 7" wide. And a 6" jointer.

Yeah, I know I can rip them down the middle, joint them, and reglue later. I'd rather not. Not on these boards.

And I'm not sure I want to go to the trouble of building a planer sled for two boards. :-(

Please reply here, or email me: doug at milmac dot com

TIA...

Reply to
Doug Miller

Doug .... Try your local Schools. Usually the woodworking shop there has a planner and they will plain the boards for you. Here in Indiana if you ask your school nicely they are willing to do it.

Don in Fort Wayne, Indiana

Reply to
Donald Weber

a simple sled wouldnt take a minute to make. all you need is a plywood rip the width of your planer and a few shims to support the boards. BUT if these are highly figured boards you would be better off finding a drum sander or a planer or jointer with a shelix head. tearout could be an issue with strait knives. or you can make a router base to span between 2 strait rails. then rout a grove down both sides of the wood. then use the strait rails inserted into the grooves, turn it over and run em through the planer. if you dont know what I'm talkin about respond back and I will see if I can find the link with pics. basically you are useing the rails instead of plywood for the temporary sled.

skeez

Reply to
skeez

I found it! this is rather elaborate but it doesnt have to be. It could be made a lot simpler BUT if you did it like this guy did you would probly use it often enough to make it a worthwile effort. BTW this is a great site to join if you are so inclined.

skeez

Instead you'd rather bother somebody, eh? Ohh "all that trouble!!"

MUCH better to impose on somebody, eh? Loser?

Reply to
Robatoy

Doug, if the figure is that good, I'd try to find a thickness sander rather than a jointer. The wilder the grain, the more tearout you'll get on a jointer.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I'm looking for an 8" jointer. Not a planer.

Reply to
Doug Miller