JOINTERS

I am looking to purchase a 6" or 8" jointer and I am considering either the Grizzly or Yorkcraft machines. Any comments or recommendations
69yankey wrote:

I've had the Griz G0586 for about a year now. Actually now that I've checked, one year and two weeks. :-)
I like it. I really like it. I just ran about a hundred bf of cherry through it today. All the while thinking to myself that long flat eight-inch jointers are so nice.
The Yorkcraft's probably just as good. In fact I was like you, torn between those two and Griz pulled me over just because their bed was a little longer and they were doing an introductory sale.
Here's my thought: an eight inch width is nice, but it's the LENGTH of the bed that really matters. From what I hear, it's possible to get a good result for longer stock on a short bed, but I never got the hang of it. With this jointer there's nothing to "get the hang" of. Grab board. Push through. Done.
And since they ain't makin six inch jointers with beds as long as the eight inch ones, I say go for that. Only reason I can think of to go for six is if your shop is too small. And even then I'd still try to fit an eight in there. :-)
I still think Yorkcraft and Grizzly are about the same quality. Might have fit n finish problems, might have to talk to customer support, item might be damaged in shipment. Chance you take when you go for minimum dollar. I think the odds are good.
69yankey wrote:

I have the G0490 8" Jointer with Parallelogram Beds, and I'm real happy with with it. Very long bed and high fence.
--
Frank Howell

-----------------
Frank Howell wrote:

I have the same jointer, very happy with it.
My only complaint is that it's a bit tippy on the moble base.
brian
69yankey wrote:

Last FWW review I recall (year or so ago, maybe???) at the time the Yorkcraft was the identical machine as the Delta w/ white paint and a little less in the amenities department...finish not quite as nice and iirc, the motor on the Delta wasn't the Chiwanese although I may not be remembering that correctly. I really don't know anything about Yorkcraft support/parts/service/etc., if you were to need them, but I've never heard bad of Grizzly even though I don't have firsthand experience there, either (I'm an old-enough-old-guy I had everything before all these outfits were even around so never had need for them)..
I second the notion of the 8" for the longer tables as well as the extra width is handy on occasion as well.
69yankey wrote:

Hello, I have had the Grizzly 1182hw for about three years now. It is a fine machine, but if I could do it over again, I would buy an 8" version as about once or twice a month I will need to joint a 6 1/2 or 7 inch board. Also, I think the longer beds would be of great help.
Ronnie Aldrich
I have the Grizzly G0593 8x75 spiral cutterhead jointer. I must say that I almost start to cry when I face joint a board on this jointer and then have to run the other side on the planer with a straight HSS cutterhead.
The finish of the cut is incredible. To boot, it doesn't matter which end of the board you run through, against the grain or not. It still comes out as smooth as a baby's bottom.
I just finished the other day jointing some 4/4 Cherry and every time I face jointed a board I was just awestruck that I could get a jointer that is such high quality for such a small price.
FWIW, the spiral cutterhead with carbide insert knives is the way to go. Each carbide insert has four sides and can be rotated three times when the carbide finally dulls. Plus Grizzly gives you free an extra set of carbide inserts. Rotating the inserts is a piece of cake and quite frankly I am glad that I don't have to mess with trying to get the cutterhead height right as I did with my old jointer. I am so impressed by this cutterhead that I will be replacing the HSS cutterhead in my planer with a spiral head shortly.
The 75" table is as flat as flat can be. If it is off, I can't tell, even after using a dial indicator. The cast iron infeed and outfeed tables are precision ground and are just plain old beautiful to look at.
If you are buying new, then spend on quality and get an awesome machine for an excellent price. I can honestly tell you that you cannot go wrong with this machine.
Steve

Steve wrote:

What happens after the free set? As a beginning woodworker I'm just thinking aloud, but what about the prices (10$ for *one* tip ?!): http://www.grizzly.com/products/category.aspx?key40080 How many tips are on one head?
--
Best regards,
Vriendelijke groeten,

Steve wrote:

All in all (cost of regular blades, sharpening, etc.), this does make better sense. Thanks much for clarifying.
--
Best regards,

Flint

I would recomend the 8". I have an 8" Delta and it's fine but wish I had bought the 12". every piece of lumber (timber if you speak funny) is 8-1/2 wide or beter.