Jointer usage question

I recently purchased a used Delta 37-190 6" jointer. I need to edge joint a

6' long board. The finished board needs to be 6' so I can't cut it to do the job in smaller sections if that is relevant. My question is about where you apply downward pressure with your hand. Do you do it on the outfeed side of the jointer or the infeed side? Thanks.

Dick Snyder

Reply to
Dick Snyder

Start the board on the infeed side, with both hands applying light downward pressure, and lateral pressure in the direction of the fence, on the infeed side.

Without pausing, and _as soon as enough of the board has passed the cutter head to safely do so_, transfer one, then the other hand, applying the same downward and lateral pressure on the outfeed side

Finish up the pass with both hands on the outfeed side.

Make practice cuts on some scrap to perfect your technique.

Reply to
Swingman

See no.11 for starters:

********************************************************> I recently purchased a used Delta 37-190 6" jointer. I need to edge joint a

Reply to
routerman

Thanks Karl. Very helpful. I'll do my practice before I do the 6' board.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Snyder

Although your question was strictly about hand placement, Pat had an excellent point ... tool setup, then technique. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Dick, follow that advice but don't use your -hands- near a planer blade. Use push blocks like these, instead. (see below) They're made for that purpose and are much, much safer, should your board slip. There is no repair for a hand which has met a planer blade.

At Amazon, get a pair for $10.50 (One for each hand.)

-- Average # of people killed in mass shooting when stopped by police: 18.25 Average # of people killed when stopped by civilians: 2

Save lives: Keep Civilians Armed!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

And, if the edge is concave, to make it simpler to get started, set depth to a shallow cut and start in the middle at the high point and work to each end--you'll take the high points off first and then you can work the whole length a final pass or two to get a glue edge.

Conversely, if there's significant bow convex, use a straight edge or snap a chalk line and take a few passes to approach the line first and get roughly parallel to it.

--

Reply to
dpb

On Friday, January 18, 2013 9:25:48 AM UTC-8, Larry Jaques wrote:

X-Z4_GTNnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com... >> On 1/18/2013 8:43 AM, Dick Snyd= er wrote: >>> I recently purchased a used Delta 37-190 6" jointer. I need t= o edge joint >>> a >>> 6' long board. The finished board needs to be 6' so = I can't cut it to do >>> the >>> job in smaller sections if that is relevan= t. My question is about where >>> you >>> apply downward pressure with your= hand. Do you do it on the outfeed side >>> of >>> the jointer or the infee= d side? Thanks. >> >> Start the board on the infeed side, with both hands a= pplying light >> downward pressure, and lateral pressure in the direction o= f the fence, on >> the infeed side. >> >> Without pausing, and _as soon as = enough of the board has passed the cutter >> head to safely do so_, transfe= r one, then the other hand, applying the >> same downward and lateral press= ure on the outfeed side >> >> Finish up the pass with both hands on the out= feed side. >> >> Make practice cuts on some scrap to perfect your technique= . >> > >Thanks Karl. Very helpful. I'll do my practice before I do the 6' b= oard. Dick, follow that advice but don't use your -hands- near a planer bla= de. Use push blocks like these, instead. (see below) They're made for that = purpose and are much, much safer, should your board slip. There is no repai= r for a hand which has met a planer blade.

At Am= azon, get a pair for $10.50 (One for each hand.) -- Average # of people kil= led in mass shooting when stopped by police: 18.25 Average # of people kill= ed when stopped by civilians: 2 Save lives: Keep Civilians Armed!

This is edge jointing. Push blocks would be very dangerous. Use your hands = for sure. Face jointing, yes, always. Just to many ways you can loose lots = o' flesh and bone.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

As an alternative, Cut the board to length and straighten it on the TS. 6" is plenty short enough that the rip fence will act just like the fence on your jointer. Cut the bowed out side first and then cut the other side to the proper width.

Reply to
Leon

Asolutely ...

Reply to
Swingman

Thanks to all of you for your very helpful advice!!!

Dick Snyder

Reply to
Dick Snyder