Jointer update

x-no-archive:yes
That Buffalo jointer I have read is a chineese type typically harbor freight quality. FOr 125 bucks is it still a bad deal for occassional use?

If it happens to be made properly it is a great bargain. If it doesn't, it is a boat anchor. Since abandoning any effort at quality control is one way they keep their prices down, it seems a bad bet. I would (and did) go for a $200 used jointer. You might be more of a gambler.
I just read a review of HF's 10" SCMS in FW. They didn't find it to be a useful tool, despite the low price. Perhaps for carpentry?

Where you located?

He appears to be in Evansville, IN.
x-no-archive:yes
Kentucky, why? Locutus wrote:

That's what I thought for a little bit to, Evansville. Cause I just might know somebody that has a decent Ridgid 6 1/8" jointer to get rid of. I can't get hold of him on his cell phone. We're in Louisville. He said a while back there wasn't no way he was going to ship it for the price. I've used it, and it's just like mine, so I know it's in good shape. I'll keep trying if you'd like me to.

x-no-archive:yes
Is this one of those table tops or on a stand? How much does he want?
I am about 1 hour and 30 minutes from Lousiville.
Thanks! Tim Taylor wrote:

It's on a stand. Go to Home Depot's website and take a gander at it. It's the tenth one under planers, jointers and lathes. It's not orange, it's gray. If I get a chance I'll take a picture of mine. But I did find out he's on vacation. I think he's due back Saturday or Sunday, but I'll let you know as soon as I can.
stryped wrote:

If it's Chinese, it is probably made in the same factory as the equivalent HF model. The HF 6" jointer looks OK on paper, but having seen it in person, I'd pass. Something about that cheesy red plastic guard flapping around really says "get away."
Don't get me wrong. I'm a big fan of cheap tools, and I have several from HF. It's just that jointers and planers are not things I'd skimp on. Too much at stake. I'd rather stick a planer blade on the TS than use a dubious jointer.
I have considered the 4" benchtop jointer, just because I can afford to experiment with that small amount of money and space. Anything bigger, and I'd at least go for the Ridgid 6". Or joint with the TS or router.

Bad deal, IMO. If it is a cheap tool, even at $25 it is not a bargain when it does not perform well.