Jointer table extension??

OK so here is the question
I have a 6" jointer with 1.2m long tables...all works well and I have regularly jointed boards up to 2.4m. The machine does what it is supposed to.
I have an option on an old EMCO 8" jointer/thicnesser combo that a friend has gathering dust, and the planer is something I would regualry make use of. So I am not sure I want both machines in my small workshop. So I am keen to sell the 6"
The downside of the old EMCO 8"machine is that the tables on the jointer are quite short (total table length around 85cm), making it harder to joint long boards. What is the feasability of extending the outfeed table?
I have access to a large machine shop so I could conceivably weld something up out of 6mm steel and then have it surface ground and then bolt it onto the current table...
What do you folk think?
Brent
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: ...

A whole lot of work for the end result imo. Unless you need the 8" jointer, I'd suggest pass on an 8" thickness planer and go w/ one of the small 12-13" portables and keep the current jointer for its purpose.

If so, I would pass on it. The Enco woodworking machines I have seen were not that high quality. They had some OK metalworking equipment. It was all Chiwanese knockoffs.

It is an older version of the "emco rex b20". The issue is the thing is so cheap ($140) I would keep it one way or the other. Just be nice to not have to take up more space in the shop. A new portable unit would set me back at least triple that...
Brent
"Lee Michaels" wrote

Emco, IIRC, is European ... looks like Brent may be posting from South Africa?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

The Emco is an Austrian brand as far as I know - although it may be eastern manufactured and yip I am waaaaay down south in Cape Town!