Jointer Snipe

Is there any way that I can adjust my jointer to prevent the wood from being sniped on the last 1 or 2 inches of the board? I have the Jet model JJ-6CSX jointer and I am not sure if snipe is a common problem on all jointers, if it's an adjustment issue on the model I have, or if it is something that I am doing wrong when I run the boards through jointer.
(x071907) wrote:

Might be your technique. Are you applying downward pressure over the knives? If so, don't. Instead, hold the wood against the infeed table until there's enough of it on the outfeed table to hold it there. Then hold it against the outfeed table only, for the remainder of the pass. *Always* use push blocks, never your hands.
what Doug said, and/OR, the outfeed table might be a bit low. If you don't have a dial indicator with magnetic base, now is the time to get one.
dave
Doug Miller wrote:

Don't _need_ a dial indicator. Unplug, lay a straight edge on the outfeed table, extending over the cutterhead. As you rotate by hand, it's ok for the cutter to kiss the edge, but not raise it. And remember, you've got three knives, any one of which could be too high.
If you're sniping more than the distance between the cutter at TDC and the edge of the outfeed table(~3/4"), you've got other problems.
(x071907) wrote:

George, you missed the point! Whenever there is a "need" for a new tool, why not get one? :) I'm still racking my brain to come up with a "legitimate need" for a lathe. <g>
dave
dave
George wrote:

That useless gage is worth another gouge.
Me back to use the lathe in my basement.

Here ya go...
http://tinyurl.com/388on
Full URL is
http://www.google . com/groups? as_q=silvan%20got%20laid&safe=images&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&as_ugroup=rec.crafts. woodturning&as_umsgid= snipped-for-privacy@giganator.family. lan&as_drrb=q&as_qdr=m3&lr=lang_en&num0&hl=en
LOL! I remember that post!
dave
Doug Miller wrote:

That's all the reason you need, ain't it?

seems like the BEST reason! <g>
dave
Doug Miller wrote:

Man, my g/f gave me an apron "Will Cook for Sex" but that is now opening a whole other universe. Gotta get me a nice new apron for the workshop now...my eyes are now opened.
LOL!
dave
Paul Kierstead wrote:

Sounds like your outfeed table is too low.
--
To reply, change the chemical designation to its common name.

Several of the "on topic" posts have indicated your outfeed table is too low. Also check your knives on the cutterhead. Make sure that they are aligned in place as indicated in the instruction booklet. They may be set too high, or unevenly in the cutterhead.
Aligning the knives is somewhat of a bitch, because of the way they sit in the cutterhead. I've spent many a happy hour aligning them (NOT!). I bought the "Jointer Pal", which is a magnetic "jig" that allows you to set the knives to the correct height. It make the process somewhat easier.
Assuming you knives are straight and true in the cutterhead, next check is your outfeed table.
Good luck -
Nick B