Jointer Question

Page 2 of 2
.

========================I have owned and used the same 6 inch Rockwell Jointer for almost 40 years now.... AND I will admit that it really did take me a long time to master using the machine....
Looks simple... works simple... and it is simple
However your words...LIGHT TOUCH.. is the reason for my reply...
Very Very TRUE.... My proplems were solved only after LEARNING that I only had to keep enough downward pressure on the outfeed end to keep the board flat and I wanted to use as little downward pressure on the infeed side as possible...
When I was learning I put way tooooo much downward pressure on both ends ...The weight of the lumber should be enough to keep the board in contact with the table... LIGHT TOUCH.... ! Yep you are right
Bob Griffiths
That makes perfect sense, definitely something to remember. I'd imagine it's not quite as important when edge jointing as you are unlikely to be able to flex the board, but for face jointing too much pressure could easily screw things up.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

It can be argued either way whether it is or isn't as important, I favor it is, but the fact is there is absolutely no reason to apply more pressure then required to move the board over the cutters. Application of pressure should be concentrated on keeping the newly jointed face flat against the fence.
--
Mike G.
Heirloom Woods
Mike G wrote:

And, keeping knives <sharp> will reduce the need for and the tendency to push...