Jointer planes

Needs must. I used a production Stanley 220. Crispy joint. Then I bought a #4 and a #5...

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

No, no mix up. I just thought 'edge' was clearer than 'side'.

A flat rectangular board has 6 sides, two are faces, two are edges, two are ends. If you just say 'side' it is clear to me that you mean the edge, but that might not be clear to others, especially some of the feriners who read rec.nahrm, though most of them probably read and write English better than I do.

Here's nit, please don't be annoyed, but complimentary angles sum to 90 degrees, supplimentary angles sum to 180 degrees. You actually want supplimentary bevel angles when edge jointing boards.

I misunderstood.

But now I do see is illustrated at a page on the website you mentioned:

and learn.

Where do we find the sketch?

It looks to me like you got it right, and now I've been educated too.

Ah, but if you get a jointe, you'll love using it. A #7 or #8 is an impressive tool and when you're not truing boards you can whop pit bulls on the head with it.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

You really should. I was reading on woodcentral that some folks can't even bring themselves to use the Veritas planes because they think the totes are so ugly. For me it's a no-brainer if I'd prefer to have a lovely, semi-comfortable tote vs. an ugly tote that fits like a glove.

But then I *use* my planes. :-)

Sounds like my newish Stanley block plane. I foolishly bought it when I was starting out, and I keep it around just for working on ply or other stuff where I don't want to risk messing up a real plane.

You've certainly made that clear, Mr. Squeaky Britches. :-)

Knowing what I know now, if I were starting from scratch buying planes, I'd go almost exclusively with Veritas. I'd probably still have an old Stanley jointer and fore, but for specialty planes, I don't think you can get better bang for the buck than the Veritas.

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan the Librarian

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 08:12:08 -0500, Conan the Librarian calmly ranted:

Yes, comfort and control are where it's at.

I put several handfuls of redwood shavings from the mantle I redid Monday, so there! :) I'll degloss and wax tomorrow, then install on Saturday after the "known to the Republik of Kalifornia to be harmful" fumes have outgassed from that nasty J&J paste wax.

Of that I have no doubt.

I'm perfectly happy with the ugly^H^H^H^Hfull-of-character old Stanleys. Maybe one of the new Veritas medium shoulder planes will find its way here shortly after my birfday next month... That or fix the li'l 1/2" Knight shoulder plane. It's one of his earliest models and the epoxy didn't hold the brass sole on as well as he'd hoped. Some jarrah ought to fix that.

------------------------------------------- Crapsman tools are their own punishment

Comprehensive Website Design ======================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

We seem to have a number of outgassing problems down here... The budget process in Sacramento come immediately to mind. ;-)

The Veritas Medium Shoulder plane is one sweet tool, Larry. Does the short crowbar work on someone else's wallet? ;-)

Patriarch, who eyes the southern Oregon coast as a potential refuge, when the time comes...

Reply to
patriarch

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 23:29:13 GMT, patriarch calmly ranted:

Not yet, but I'm working on it.

"It ain't far off." he sighed.

------------------------------------------- Crapsman tools are their own punishment

Comprehensive Website Design ======================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

OK, just so long as we're both singin' from the same page.

You're right, and that's what I was thinking of, a brain fart, I'm afraid.

I'ts a great website. Easy to go through and incredibly informative.

It was ASCII art in an earlier message. Which, of course, I now can't find.

Yup and it's good for correcting my daughter, too. %-)

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

Just read tghis whole thread. Topic veered into Lee Valley vesus Lei-Nielson verus Chinese planes versus Anant planes from India. I suggests looking at the planes from Steve Knight at

.

Regarding the original question: "is there significance in flatness or speed of work between the three. Given that the different planes are made, there must be a reason why.......".. I thinks it's just a matter of accuracy. My feeling is that there's a significant difference between a #6 and #7 but much less between a #7 and #8.

For readers who might have an engineering abckground, these planes operate like low pass filters. If the length of the plane is L, then the plane has (approximately) a low pass response which is a sinc function whose first null is at 1/L.

So we compare 1/18 versus 1/22 versus 1/24: 0.0555 versus 0.04545 versus 0.04166. If you plotted the responses, you'd see the smaller number means more "dc" rejection. To a first order, we can directly compare these numbers: the 24" is about 9% better than the 22". the 22" is about 22% better than the 18".

Hope I did the arithmetic correctly....

Reply to
Never Enough Money