Jointer Pal

I'm going to order a G0500 before the end of the year. The supplied knife setting jig has gotten mixed reviews, so I thought I'd order a Jointer Pal at the same time.
I see the G1753 steel body Jointer Pal for $43 and the G3360 polycarbonate body Jointer Pal for $27. It seems to me that the polycarbonate one is not only $16 cheaper, but also less likely to nick the knifes if screw up while making adjustments.
What am I missing?
I bought the poly. version and it worked ok. Have not seen the metal version but perhaps the index lines are easier to see.
setting jig

time.
not
while
If you do a search there is a way to set the blades with masking tape and a ruler. IIRC the making tape is used for indexing references on the table and the ruler is set on each end of the knives. The knives rotate and touch the ruler and push it a short distance. When all knives push the ruler an equal distance they are all the same height.

I use a dial indicator and a magnetic base... more consistant results than a magnetic setting jig. Tom

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 15:12:03 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@somewhere.org wrote:

I have one. pretty much never use it. straight edge is easier.