Jointer motor failure

Try this to see where the problem is: remove the belt. Disconnect the capacitor and jumper the two leads together that went to the capacitor. Try to start the motor. It should start, but it may start slowly and without a lot of torque. If it starts, then the internal switch and mechanism are good and you have a bad starting capacitor. If it still won't start, then the internal switch is either bad or has sawdust in between the contacts.

Starting capacitors on dual voltage motors are generally rated at around 125 V (because the starting winding will only see 125 V regardless of the voltage that the motor is connected for). A ballpark for MFD rating is approx. 200 MFD per horsepower for a 3450 rpm motor.

Reply to
Doug S

Update

I found a motor place a little closer by ... more like 20 miles. My wife brought him the capacitor and he tested it... sadly, it was good.

I schlepped down there at yesterday with the rest of the motor. He opened it put right then an did quickie diagnosis. He short, he got it working in about five minutes by cleaning up the contacts on the centrifugal switch and adjusting it's tension. He said that we pull it apart and clean it up before returning it. He had it for all of 1:45 before I gat the call that I could have it back. I don't know what the bill will be but it can't be all that bad.

Thanks all for the help,

Steve

Reply to
StephenM

I had thought of that when you originally posted but did not post since it sounded like you had the motor apart, and I assumed that it had been cleaned.

Exactly the same thing happened to me several years ago. I was using the saw and it stopped dead. After shopping around, I decided to have it fixed, and took the motor and my checkbook to the repair shop. It took him about the same time to fix my motor. As I remember he charged a couple of bucks for the cleaning.

The good thing he showed me some places that I had not been cleaning and a couple of oil ports that I did not know exist.

One point. Be caused you were trying to get the motor started you may check the wiring in the cord and off-on switch. I just discovered recently that some wires got hot and melted the insulation. I have taped them and am looking for a replacement switch for my 40 year old Craftsman table saw.

Yes I know their reputation, but am not about to change as everything works perfectly and everything is in alignment. With its cast iron top it will probably passed on to my grandson and be used for another 40 years.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Their reputation 40 years ago was pretty darn good! I suspect you've got a keeper there.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard