jointer help

I have blown the motor on my table saw & robbed the one off my jointer, it is an antique Atlas the old motor was a 3/4 HP 110 volt. I don't use the jointer all that much & would like to put the old one back on & get a new one for the TS... what's the way to go? can I just put any old motor 1/2 to 1 1/2" HP 110 volt? someone said it needs to be 3 phase & those are almost as much as a new TS.. ideas?
Thanks Rob
You can use almost any motor that will mount on the saw... HP is your choice... install at least the amount that came with it, perhaps a little more. Was the original 3 phase? if so and you are connected to 3 phase power that's the way to go (doubt it). Baldor motors have a sterling reputation, but in reality any industrial motor tha's sealed (sawdust) will work if it can be mounted. Tom

Is it 3 phase now? If so, the simplest way is to replace it with the same. If not, the "someone " is a twit and disregard them. "Any old motor" may not work. You want at least the same horsepower, you want the same shaft size (or change the pulley), the same RPM, and ideally the same voltage. Grainger sells a 1 1/2 hp motor that they specify as a table saw motor. If it is the same voltage and frame, it may be perfect for you. As always, more power it better assuming the motor fits. .

Don't forget frame (NEMA 56 seems most popular for saws) or rotation (or at least reversibility).
I don't know if this is a recent trend, but I've been noticing a lot of motors at the lower end suppliers lately that are not reversible, and in many cases are not the correct rotation for a table saw, even though all the other factors seem perfect.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
LRod wrote:

You'll also want to make sure it's got decent enough bearings to take the load (some real inexpensive things are still sleeved) and should be at least shielded for dust if not TEFC...an open case otherwise will fill w/ sawdust and be quite unreliable for the long run.
"I've been noticing a lot of motors at the lower end suppliers lately that are not reversible, and in many cases are not the correct rotation for a table saw "
But, the correct rotation depends on whether the TS is left or right tilt, so any motor will have the correct rotation for at least some saws.