jointer dust problem

Dust collection not working on jet 6" open stand jointer. I have looked underneath and it is all clean. Most of the shavings seem to come back out around the blades. What I have noticed is that the area around the handle at the rear gets clogged up with shavings. Thanks, Darrell
Need more details. Are you using a dust collector? That happened to my Delta before I added a dust collector. Adding a dust collector will be the one of the best investments you make, even a small one.
dave

at
Yes I have a dust collector, a good one. It's one of those new Jet canister models. Thanks

out
handle
Try taking the whole "dust" collector hood (the black part) off, allowing the chips to fall into a properly placed bag or box. When you have nice sharp blades taking full-width shavings, the 6" long pieces have trouble stuffing themselves into a 4" tube. Add to that a nice feed rate, and it doesn't take long to fill the chute.
Worked for mine, and now the DC stays connected to either the planer or the tablesaw, which are the things I use immediately before or after jointing.

looked
On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 07:47:11 -0500, "George"

LOL.... Both of us must have attended the same schools...or "hooked" school on the same days ?....
I run two duct collectors in my shop and the ONLY machine I do not hook up and have absolutely no plans to hook up is my Joiner ... I find it just as easy to let the chips (they are chips..not dust) fall in a box .. I did however rework the underside to allow the "chips" to egress a little easier...
Bob Griffiths

I have dust collection on my jointer, but it is set for easy removal. the jointer makes the nicest chips (shavings, really) of any power tool in the shop, and when I'm wirking with some nice piece of wood I sometimes like to save some. slide up the collector fitting and slip a box under the chute and joint away- doesn't take long to make a big pile of fluffy shavings.     Bridger
Look for an obstruction. My delta had a perforated steel plate bolted in to keep fingers from finding the blade through the dust chute. Until I discovered this and removed it I experience the same problems you are.
Gary
Darrell wrote:

Should have bought the Delta, lol.

looked