Jointer Dust Collection

I have a Yorkcraft 6" jointer. This is essentially my first jointer and I am satisfied with it's performance.

I've recently connected it to my new cyclone dust collector and I'm a bit disappointed at the dust collection efficiency. It seems like more than half the chips get thrown down the "in-feed" table instead of going into the base where the D/C is connected.

Is this normal?

Bill Leonhardt

Reply to
Bill Leonhardt

Only if you've got a shavings jam in the chute. Most folks just put a bag or box under the chute, since jointers make shavings versus dust.

With machine unplugged and great care, check for jamming, clear, and let gravity take its course.

Reply to
George

I own the same jointer, and am also very pleased with it. However, I am having no problems with the dc on it unless I get a jam around the cutter knives (as already suggested). In fact, I would have to say that this jointer is the most efficient machine I own as far as collecting waste material goes, so I would suggest some investigation to make sure that there isn't a clog. I have found that mine will clog almost instantly if I forget to turn on the DC for even a few cuts. Good luck

Bill Le> I have a Yorkcraft 6" jointer. This is essentially my first jointer and I

Reply to
Doug

I concur with "It will clog almost instantly if I forget to turn on the DC for even a few cuts". Then once the jointer internal chute is clogged close to the knives, I have to insert the shop vac hose all the way up to un-clog every things close to the knives. Once this is done it starts to work good again until I forget to turn on the DC when doing a few cuts. I have also noticed that if I leave the internal jointer chute clogged for several days in my humid and cold garage, the wood chips will harden or freeze then I need a stick (or coat hanger) to break the chips loose. Other times, I turn on the DC and forget to switch the Y toward the jointer on top of the cyclone ;-( The latter is the bad side but when I am careful it works good.

Reply to
Denis Marier

It should not happen. You may need additional air flow. Replace ribbed tubes with rigid if at all possible or replace your DC with a more powerful one.

Reply to
Phisherman

============================================ Honestkly the Jointer is the ONLY tool in my shop that I do not even bother hooking up a Dust Collector to... I just place a card board box under the thing and empty the box when it gets full...

BUT if you infeed table gets covered with chips then the machine is clogged...BIG TIME....I suggest you look for ways to enlarge the discharge area

Honest I do not think my old Rockwell has ever clogged ...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

Denis, et al,

Thanks for the advice. I initially looked up the dust collection chute and it looked clear. Then, after reading you message, I stuck the shop vac up there. Still had a problem. I then moved my shop vac hose to the discharge side (it doubles as a leaf blower) and blew down by the knives. Wow, was I surprised at all that came out.

Works great now, thanks,

Bill

Reply to
Bill Leonhardt