jointer decision

Page 3 of 3

Thanks guys for all the good input, I really want a good planer also, and have been looking close at the DeWalt 735, but if I bought the Jet jointer I'd probably have to buy one cheaper, Your input has helped me lots. I will check the Craftsman very closely and it if seems to be a in as good shape as claimed go with it and then be able to get the 735 planer too, Ill have to talk to wife about her x-stitch and see what kind of budget she'll agree too (Ahhhh thinking about it,,,, maybe not LOL) I think she agreed with the purchase's to get me out of the house and into the shop CC
"CC" wrote:

IMHO, NO!
When it comes to a jointer, iron is iron.
If the tables are flat and parallel, the Craftsman is a winner.
At least mine was before it got legs.
If the seller will allow it take a couple of boards with you to joint. If the pieces butt up to a light tight joint, you have a winner.
Lew

Tuesday I'm going to get him to run a couple pieces through it to see how well they will mate, Hopefully it will be in as good a shape as he says it is If it is, I will have a new tool in the shop, cc

Keep in mind though that the guy may not have it set up well, e.g., knives not well adjusted, outfeed table at wrong height, etc.) and that he may not use proper technique... It could be a fine and dandy machine but the "test" may suggest it's not.
John
message

I'll keep that in mind too and bring a straight edge to check the tables to see if they are warped or flat too. CC

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Rockler for $200! It is not on their website but I got it in a mailer. You could call Rockler to see if it is still for sale.