Jointer advice needed

Looking for some advice from my fellow wood workers:

I'd like to get a jointer for my shop, but I really don't have tons of room or money to do so. I'm thinking of the Delta JT360 stand jointer. Can anyone give me some advice as to this jointer and where I might get it for a good price?

Basically I'm looking for a jointer that can mostly edge boards (I already have a nice planer) and be under $500 total cost, $350-$400 would be even better. But it has to be able to edge 6-8' boards.

Thanks,

Carl snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Carl Swanson

The rule of thumb is the jointer bed should be half of the longest board you run, co factor that in. If you use roller stands, you have to be very careful to align them perfectly, or you defeat the purpose of having a jointer.

In the end, it might be cheaper, and you will get better resultes with a jointer plane. If you have reservations on keeping the edge square, you can get one with a fence (Lee Valley sells them for metal planes).

Using a jointer too short for the wood can be very dangerous (however, fingertips do grow back).

Reply to
DarylRos

Hi, I have the Yorkcraft 6" jointer from Wilke Machinery,

I love it, no problems what so ever. Paid $299 + shipping.

Reply to
Tony

You will want to face joint a board on one side before planing the other side.... But maybe you already knew that. Anyhow, when it comes to 8' boards, you'll need some infeed and outfeed support in addition to what the tables themselves provide.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Carl,

I've been happy with my Grizzly G1182HW and it only $325. I just changed the blades for the first time which wasn't fun but I wanted them to be just right.

Check it out:

WoodChuck34

Reply to
Grandpa

I have the Ridgid JP610 that I am quite satisfied with. It has done everything I have asked of it, including edging some 6' boards. Haven't done any 8' yet.

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

Ridgid JP610 my vote..Look and/or Ask for them on sale at the Home Depot..

Reply to
Gregory Jensen

My 42" x 6" jointer does a decent job up to 5' but after that it gets dicey. I can do about 6' but I have to really watch my technique.

I tried 7.5' and no go.

Do you really want to joint an 8' board? Crosscut your components to approximate size then joint. If you really have to joint 8' stock I don't think that you will be happy with anything less than one of the long-bed

6"-ers (e.g. PM54A) or better still, an 8" model, but then thats beyond your price point.

Cheers,

Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

Depends on where you are, of course. JET 6" at Menards for $375, IIRC. I've got one, works well. I do not understand why people say you can't do

8' on a 4' table. Used to do the odd 8' board on Rocky, my 4"x30" Rockwell. Wasn't easy, but if you realize that the joining is done over the knives, the rest is only support, you don't waste effort where it's not required. On the 6" I can do 100" no problem.
Reply to
George

I've generally found it is easier to put a crown than a straight edge on an

8' board on most 6" jointers (powermatic long bed 6" excluded but its about $750).

With the advance in saw blade technology (i.e. Freud Glue-line Rip) a lot of people are finding it easier to joint long boards on the tablesaw assuming you have an accurate fence.

Reply to
Max Mahanke

=================================== I agree because I also have no problem doing 8 footers on my 6" Rockwell with a 40 inch SHORT BED... infeed and outfeed supports are required but easily constructed...

My thoughts on the original posters comment on only needing to edge boards since he already owns a nice planer caused me to laugh my ass off .... just have to wonder if he ever starts with rough cut lumber

Bob

Reply to
Bob G.

Depending on his planer - my spiral serrated rollers will feed with almost no pressure - and his plane collection, may be all he needs.

Lot easier to use the jo>

Reply to
George

I have to cast my vote for the 6" Sunhill. I think it was $425 shipped with an extra set of knives and a dust port. So far it's worked perfectly. Just don't make the mistake I did an try to joint plywood. I had to use those extra set up knives real quick!!

good luck Bill

Reply to
Bill