jointer

Page 1 of 3
What do you guys think of this one (does it look like 3-phase?) I sent a message to the owner.
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/4578621510.html
Bill
On 07/28/2014 9:07 PM, Bill wrote:

Don't think so--I expanded the image w/ the cord up as far as browser would go and it looks like standard 3-prong plug to me...plus it's just got a mechanical on-off switch; no starter which would be expected fur shure w/ 3P. Still never hurts to make sure what motor actually is in it...

"Bill" wrote in message

That set-up redefines "portable jointer..."
Based on the ad the seller is not very knowledge, but did try to research. The seller may not know one versus three.
On 7/28/2014 10:07 PM, Bill wrote:

On 7/28/2014 9:07 PM, Bill wrote:

Probably not a 3 phase, it is a small jointer. My assumption is that one used in a 3 phase industrial environment would be sized to handle larger stock.
"Leon" wrote in message

I wouldn't rely on this rule of thumb... the middle school near me, built in the late 1960s, has 3 phase and runs even 6" jointers on it. I also noticed a local Craigs List posting for a new 1/3 HP 3 phase motor... I got the impression it was for a blower.

The government building would naturally be built with commercial specs. But you do have a point there. And it was just an assumption.

Agreed. However, the seller should be able to copy the information from the motor's electrical rating plate and email that to Bill; whether it's single-phase or 3-phase should be apparent.
Bill, let me know if you want to borrow my truck -- but I think you might want to rent one that has a lift gate.

On 7/28/2014 9:07 PM, Bill wrote:

Looks exactly like the one we had in our high school shop, which IIRC, was not 3 phase. Why do I remember: my occasionally less than stellar behavior got me extra duty on machine maintenance chores.
My personal opinion is that it's about $200 too high, but value is in the eye of the user.
In either case it would be a great restoration project for one interested in doing so, therefore its value is proportionate to its usefulness to the woodworker who uses it, and that may be priceless. ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Swingman wrote:

Would you expect it's motor to have been replaced once or twice by now (assuming 1950s origin)?
Bill
On 07/30/2014 11:30 AM, Bill wrote: ...

No. I've an even earlier vintage hybrid Walker-Turner/Delta shaper w/ the original motor still...

On 7/30/2014 11:30 AM, Bill wrote:

Not necessarily.
If I had to guess, it's likely a 2HP/220v, and an even, or better, chance of being original.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 07/30/2014 1:19 PM, Swingman wrote:

The plug from what I could tell looks like 110V three prong to me altho it isn't conclusive as the picture angle is from the plug prong end but sorta' a side view; possibly it is dual-voltage so could convert to 240V.
Ewww...just went to recheck my conclusion and "posting has been deleted by author"...looks like deadhorse country here now...

On 7/30/2014 3:18 PM, dpb wrote:

Never stopped us before. ;)
You guys getting enough rain?
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 07/30/2014 3:22 PM, Swingman wrote:

Chuckle...indeed! :)

"Enough"? No chance. Despite their three-day alarms of flood warnings and promises of 2" or more, we got only about a half-inch in a tiny little shower of <0.1" in the morning yesterday then the rest from "the big show" this AM between 4:30 and about 7. Like every other similar event the last several years, it rained nicely for a little while but nothing more than drizzle for over about 20-30 minutes. Just can't get the main areas to come our way.
If you see this in time (it'll reset at midnight to the new day) look at the radar precipitation total estimated map. We're right in that gray "donut hole" w/ green, yellow, orange around. Been that way all year -- 2" and as much as 4 or 5" within 10-15 miles but not on us.
Just looked, my weather station has accumulated 5.28" YTD; add about another inch maybe for some snow in March. We should have had 13-14" by now or perhaps even more on our way to our average of roughly 18".

On 07/30/2014 6:23 PM, dpb wrote: ...

The radar map has reset by now of course and I don't know of any way to retrieve an archive view...
The one added note is that there is at least one difference this year from the previous two severe drought years is that at least this year there is rain around the area whereas two years ago there wasn't much all the way to almost the Mississippi east. Last year it finally began some Wichita and east. This year it's at least been in the area so maybe we're finally beginning to see a change in the cycle. Last year was driest we've had here at the farm in the 100-yr including the Dirty-30s of <7". Year before was about 2nd or 3rd, exceeded only by one of the 30s and one in the 50s. At this pace we're on track locally for nearly matching those even though all around there's been quite a lot since second week in June altho whole area was in "Exceptional" Cat IV on the drought monitor ratings. The problem with them is that they start over on Jan 1 so don't really reflect the long-term situation well.
On 7/30/2014 6:23 PM, dpb wrote:

Ouch! Sorry to hear that.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 07/31/2014 11:57 AM, Swingman wrote:

So're we... :(
Out of the 5.28", 3.03" was June and 1.53" July or all but a little over 1" (2" counting the March snow) for the first 6 months of the year.
April and May which should be our two wettest months were 0.33" and 0.65", respectively. We've not had a decent thunderstorm, our normal primary mode of rainfall, in 3+ years now. No tornadoes or hail which is good, but no rain of any significance to go along with that that is the redeeming feature of the severe weather season for the southern High Plains.

On 7/30/14 5:23 PM, dpb wrote:

Lucky you! We seem to be forever stuck in the precip 'doughnut hole' here in central NM. YTD rain has been just barely over 1", although we got a good 1/4" soaking last night...
-BR
--- ---
On 08/02/2014 9:01 AM, Brewster wrote: ...

Yeah, there are areas worse off than even we, fur shure...
But, just out of curiosity, what's your annual average?
We were out to Red River/Eagle Nest two weeks ago and excepting for just a couple small areas just east of Springer, it's lush until almost Clayton and from the cutoff north of Springer to Cimarron is about as green as I've ever seen it in late July...