jointer

What do you guys think of this one (does it look like 3-phase?) I sent a message to the owner.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Don't think so--I expanded the image w/ the cord up as far as browser would go and it looks like standard 3-prong plug to me...plus it's just got a mechanical on-off switch; no starter which would be expected fur shure w/ 3P. Still never hurts to make sure what motor actually is in it...

Reply to
dpb

That set-up redefines "portable jointer..."

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Reply to
mungedaddress

Probably not a 3 phase, it is a small jointer. My assumption is that one used in a 3 phase industrial environment would be sized to handle larger stock.

Reply to
Leon

mungedaddress wrote in news:Y_LBv.183203$ snipped-for-privacy@fx26.iad:

Agreed. However, the seller should be able to copy the information from the motor's electrical rating plate and email that to Bill; whether it's single-phase or 3-phase should be apparent.

Bill, let me know if you want to borrow my truck -- but I th>> What do you guys think of this one (does it look like 3-phase?) I sent

Reply to
Doug Miller

Looks exactly like the one we had in our high school shop, which IIRC, was not 3 phase. Why do I remember: my occasionally less than stellar behavior got me extra duty on machine maintenance chores.

My personal opinion is that it's about $200 too high, but value is in the eye of the user.

In either case it would be a great restoration project for one interested in doing so, therefore its value is proportionate to its usefulness to the woodworker who uses it, and that may be priceless. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

I wouldn't rely on this rule of thumb... the middle school near me, built in the late 1960s, has 3 phase and runs even 6" jointers on it. I also noticed a local Craigs List posting for a new 1/3 HP 3 phase motor... I got the impression it was for a blower.

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I think that is over priced for an 8" jointer. You could by a new 8" parallelogram from griz for close to that.

Reply to
woodchucker

Yes, I didn't say that I was going to offer the seller the $685 asking price. The fact that it doesn't look easy to move is a negative as well.

BTW, Wreckers, I had a few issues that got in the way of my woodworking this summer (I haven't meant to be "distant", and I had intended to make more sawdust!)

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Looks like single phase and appears to be in, generally, good shape, to me.

If the person knows anything about tools, they should have posted what phas e and more info about it. It appears to be in back of an SUV, makes me won der about its acquisition, prior to its Craigslist posting. *I can't imag ine loading something as that in an SUV.... must have been some unusual cir cumstances, for that. It's not tied down, so I wonder what happens when t hey turn a sharp corner, if they haven't removed it from the vehicle, yet.

The ad was posted 9 days ago, so maybe the reason he/she hasn't replied to you is that it's already sold. Jointers seem to sell pretty fast, even f or that vintage and at that price. Maybe, you should not wait on a reply, but go there, if convenient, as per the map, and try to find the location, and negotiate. If it's available, offer $400-$450 and go from there. If it's still available, he/she may desperately want it removed from their SU V.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Maybe it fell into the SUV "off the back of a truck."

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

On 07/29/2014 11:14 AM, Bill wrote: ...

That's also it's major advantage over any other of similar vintage/style

-- mass is good.

Reply to
dpb

The government building would naturally be built with commercial specs. But you do have a point there. And it was just an assumption.

Reply to
Leon

Or the SUV was built around the old jointer. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

I don't know about that - the picture shows it in the back of a minivan.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

When I looked at the picture, I couldn't figure out where it was! %-) Maybe I didn't expect it to be standing up in a minivan?

Reply to
Bill

It is strange that they photographed in an SUV. I didn't pick up on that until it was pointed out. One might have expected it to be sitting in a shop environment... : ) Still nothing from the seller--probably sold.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

My first thought when I saw the picture was "why does this guy have a jointer in his boat?"

Reply to
Doug Miller

"John Grossbohlin" wrote

Yeah, but...

I had a machine with that exact same switch. Single phase all the way. Have you EVER seen a 3 phase without a magnetic starter? Not me. Also, that is a Lowes special cord cap. Not a twist lock, like a 3 phase. That one only has three prongs. Single phase, all the way, for the third time. Case closed.

Reply to
Morgans