Jointer

x-no-archive:yes
I have several rough sawn oak boards about 1 inch thick and 2 inches wide. I am a newbie to woodworkign and cant afford a jointer and planer right now. Was looking at jointer's at lowes yesterday. For such small boards, can they just be planed and jointed on the jointer?

No, they cannot be planed on a jointer. They can be made flat but the surfaces will not necessarily be parallel to each other.
You can, however, joint boards other ways. With a planer, you can make a sled or carrier to hold the board while getting one surface flat. Once that is done, you flip the boards and plane as usual.
To get one edge you can also mount the board on a sled and run it through the table saw, then cut as needed.
There are differing opinions, but I've survived so far with no jointer, just a planer. YMMV.

Boy Edwin, you and I read that question differently. LOL. I think "you" read it correctly.

As long as they are a safe length to work with. Usually 12-18" minimum. That said, I suggest a planer first. You can, with a sled, flatten a board with a planer.

How small? Small unsupported pieces of wood should be kept away from a jointer, chop saw, or table saw. For small stock I typically use hand tools.
stryped wrote:

Small boards are quickly and easily jointed with a hand plane. Longer boards are also easily jointed with a hand plane--it just takes a little longer.
But there are few things you can do with hand tools that are more fun.
--

FF

Do you have a tablesaw? If I read you correctly and the boards are 1 inch thick & 2 inches wide, you can straighten them on a TS. You'll need a board a with a good straight edge a little longer and somewhat wider than the boards you "jointing" Check most any book on using the tablesaw for how to do this.