Jointer - 6" PM54a or 8" G0500

I am a recreational woodworker. I started about 4 years ago with a Delta contacters saw, a Ridgid planner and a Hitachi router (table mounted). I have made several pieces with these tools; however, I am getting tired of using the router to put a straight edge on rough stock and I am considering buying a jointer, which will aslo give me the capability of face jointing.

I narrowed things down to the Powermatic 54A 6" because of the long bed and its reputation. OR The Grizzly G0500 8" because it is only $45.00 more than the Powermatic and is an 8" machine the bed is longer (75") and 4 cutter head.

So, my question to the group. With cost eliminated (they are about the same price), for a recreational woodworker what would be better in your opinions:

1) The Powermatic 54A 6" or Grizzly G0500 8"? 2) Does a recreational WW really need an 8" jointer?

Thanks, Bucc

Reply to
Bucc

for the same price - get the 8" grizz.

Reply to
Rob V

For jointers, all else being equal, bigger is better. Get the 8".

If you want to face joint a 2x6 from rough stock, yes. Most of the ones I get are 1/16 over, but the jointer tends to be 1/16 under, so it just barely doesn't fit.

Or even just taking the cup out of an old 1x8 prior to planing it to a thinner piece...

Reply to
DJ Delorie

I think you'll be happy either way. I have the 54A and like it a lot. There are times where I need to face joint something that is wider than 6", but it seems to be rare, and in my set up, moving the jointer around on a mobile base was important, and the 54A runs on 120V so I have the flexibility to use several outlets and locations (I only have 220V in one location in the garage/shop). If I need to joint a wider face than 6", I rip, joint, glue back together flat.

Assess your situation, and go with your gut.

Regards,

Glenn de Souza Scottsdale, Arizona

Reply to
Glenn de Souza

Get the 8inch Grizzly. In the long term you will be happier with a bit more width. Also, 4 cutter heads are definitely a feature that is worth the extra cost

John

Reply to
John Crea