Jointech Smart Miter Jig

I saw the Jointech Smart Miter (JSM-48) at our wood show here in Detroit and was quite impressed. There are several very well thought out ideas incorporated in this jig. The one that is REALLY intriging is the concept it has in keeping the edge of the miter fence exactly at the blade cutting edge no matter what angle the jig is set for. I understand that this is controlled by the arc and not the connection at the hinge point. The presentation made a very good impression about how repeatable and accurate the jig is.

However, I have been hearing mixed reviews from owners. Are any of you owners of this jig? Can you give me your impressions of how you like your jig.

How well does the unique method of keeping the right miter edge at the cutting edge of the saw work over time?

What is your experience with the Jointech people?

The base price I find is $259. Is that the going rate everywhere?

Reply to
eganders

"eganders" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@80g2000cwy.googlegroups.com...

I went through this decision about 6 years ago. The Jointech sled is pretty cool however I ended up being very happy with the left and right side Dubby jig. For me, strikes against the Jointech were that you could not easily cut wide panels with it. The jig is designed more for boards rather than panels. I can cut wider panels with the Dubby. Additionally, while I chose to buy 2 Dubby jigs, left and right both were only slightly more expensive than the Jointech, IIRC about $269, 6 years ago at show prices. The reason that I bought both left and right is that I did not want to point my wood in different directions when cutting + or - from 90 degree cuts. Basically, with the jig on the left side of the blade and having the leading end of the fence on the left side and trailing end on the blade side you can make a pretty clean cut. When cutting complementary asymmetrical molding angles you have to set the fence with the leading end of the fence on the right side close to the blade and the trailing end of the fence on the left side. With this set up the back side of the cut is more likely to have tear out as the blade angle is acute vs. obtus when exiting the back side of the wood. The more acute the exiting cutting angle the more the wood is likely to have tear out. With the left and right Dubby jigs you can cut miters on either side of the blade with the trailing end of the fence always near the blade. Last, No big deal if you want to cut compound angles or bevel cuts Tilt the blade with out worry of cutting the sled and just use the sled on the opposite side of the blade tilt if you buy both sleds. The Jointech has the edge with the adjustable miter guide bar and adjustable fence for blade clearance. I find the miter gauge bar being fixed on the Dubby to not be a problem as I never intend to change saws. When I need the fence to be closer to the blade I use a sacrificial fence.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
eganders