Jointech Floating Tables

Hello,

I posted a message on Jointech's Discussion Board but didn't get any replies. Has anybody used the Jointech Floating tables to give added capacity to their SawTrain system? I have a pretty small garage,

11.5' x 20' and I am looking to the Floating Tables to give me extra cutting capacity when I need it without taking up that much room all the time? Are the Floating Tables pretty smooth and accurate where it joins with the main rails? Thanks.

David

Reply to
David Gage

Since you've identified yourself as a Sawtrain owner, I have to ask. What other brands did you consider when you purchased. I look at Jointech and Incra products and they look the same to me (both good). I like the Jointech warranty.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

Bob,

I do not actually own the Sawtrain but am planning on ordering a setup soon. Exactly what that setup will be is still up in the air. I have a Dewalt DW746 and want to replace the fence. I originally thought about a Biesemeyer clone and if I were going that route I would probably purchase the Vega fence due to the excellent reputation and reviews that I read on the WRECK and other places. However, when doing research on the Vega I ran across mention of the Incra TSIII system and that really got my attention. However, after doing more research I decided to go with the Sawtrain. I think they are both comparable and very good machines but here are MY reasons for choosing the Jointech over the Incra. NOTE: I have seen the Incra but haven't seen the Jointech in person so much of this is based off of what I have read and researched.

1) Beefier construction - It seems to me like the Jointech is constructed of slightly beefier parts. I especially looked at this because I plan to use Board Buddies to hold down wood and the fence looks a little beefier on the Jointech. 2) Table Saw Fence lockdown - The design of the Sawtrain fence allows you to lock the fence front and back by just turning a knob at the front of the fence. On the Incra, you have to use an Allen wrench (IIRC) to lock the back part of the fence, which means you basically have to go around to the back of the table saw to lock it. This is important to me since the Board Buddies require (should) have a fence that can't go vertically. Unless I go around to the back of the saw to tighten the Incra each time, there might be some vertical movement if the wood were to kick back and up. 3) Split fence - The Incra TSIII is cheaper at first glance but to get comparable you really need to add the Wonderfence. While the Wonderfence is nice, I don't think it's design works as well on a table saw since the dust collection port angles down after coming out and may hit the back rail when the fence is slid together. Also, I like the add-in router blanks on the Jointech that allow you to have zero clearance on the router bits. Also, the dust collection on the Jointech actually has some holes in the fence that almost act like a vacuum to pull the wood close in some circumstances. 4) Flexibility of the system - The idea of the Floating Tables giving added capacity to the left or right as needed is very appealing. Also, the floating tables can be attached to the front or back to act as infeed and outfeed tables. Finally, they can also fold down while attached to the table saw rail. However, I have not been able to get ANY feedback from anyone that has used these Floating Tables to know if they are actually as good as the concept.

I am not trying to start a flame war here on which system is better. I have read about many satisfied customers of each system and I think they are both great machines. However, for the things important to me I think the Jointech Sawtrain fits the bill a little better.

David

Reply to
David Gage

Bob

I looked at both systems and was impressed by both. I purchased the 36" Saw Train for the reasons you mention, plus the use of the SS threaded rod vs plastic locks (Incra now offers) and in my small shop I couldn't handle the length of the Incra fence slide.

My next addition is the 17" floating table. I've seen them at shows and like the flexability they offer, again for a small shop

Ken

Reply to
Ken Johnsen