Joining wood

Page 1 of 2
Is there ay tried and tested fast way to join two bits of wood, with out a joiner?
Thanks
Eddy
That's a broad open-ended question. Maybe you are a candidate for quick and dirty pocket-hole joinery.
Bob
That's a broad open-ended question. Maybe you are a candidate for quick and dirty pocket-hole joinery.
Bob
bluemax responds:

Or even a couple 16d nails.
Charlie Self "They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some kind of federal program." George W. Bush, St. Charles, Missouri, November 2, 2000

Of course that presents another set of criteria. 1. Galvanized? 2. Common or Box? 3. Finish or Sinker head?
SH
Slowhand asks:

Or scaffold.
Charlie Self "They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some kind of federal program." George W. Bush, St. Charles, Missouri, November 2, 2000
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

smooth or ring shank?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Ah, well scaffold nails are meant to be pulled, so I'd like smooth shanks.
Charlie Self "They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some kind of federal program." George W. Bush, St. Charles, Missouri, November 2, 2000
<Folks on a roll snipped>

Picky, ain't 'cha? <VBG> Tom

I'd never heard of a scaffold nail. Here in O-ree-gone we call them duplex nails. Or the slang "dupes". SH
Slowhand responds:

Ah, well. The news had to get there sooner or later. First time I heard them called scaffold nails was some time around '56, while--oddly enough--getting ready to build a scaffold. My boss sent me off to get some, with me thinking it was a new version of a left-handed monkey wrench search. It wasn't.
Charlie Self "I think we agree, the past is over." George W. Bush

And left-handed monkey wrenches actually *do* exist, too.
I've got one in my toolbox.
left-hand thread on the adjustable jaw.
Robert Bonomi wrote:

I always thought the teeth on the jaws were cut opposite so they bit in when lifting. Guy I worked with,in the Navy, supposedly was sent to get one. He was the type of guy that deserved it at the time. He had a friend who found them in a set, special order of course, for the price of a small car at the time. Early 70's. Took the chit back to have it initialed. His boss thought the supply guy was helping him out so he signed it. Guy I knew was transferred to another work center when they arrived. Joe

You apparently don't know the difference between a "pipe wrench" and a "monkey wrench".
A monkey wrench does _not_ have any 'teeth' on the jaws. It's used for gripping _flats_, (parallel surfaces, like the faces of hex-head bolts, or nuts.)

There's the story from some Army base, about the FNG that gets sent on one of those hunts -- striped paint, I think this was -- who goes down to the Motor Pool, tells the Sargent there that "Lieutenant So-and-so sent me for some striped paint; there doesn't seem to be any on base, can I get a jeep to go into town for some?" Sarge goes along with the gag, and signs him out a jeep. And off he goes. Gets back _just_ before Lights Out -- w/o any paint (of course). Sarge, in a fatherly mood, attempts to explain: "Son, you know there *isn't* any such thing as striped paint." To which the kid replies, in a somewhat superior tone of voice: "Sure, Sarge, I knew *that*. But I got out of that work detail, the use of a jeep, *and* got into town for the day, didn't I?
Robert Bonomi wrote:

OK, so what's the purpose of the left handed threads?

Take your pick: 1) hybrid of rhinoceros and elephant --- i.e. 'elephino'. 2) discourages others from 'borrowing' it 3) Gag gift value 4) feels more 'natural' for a south-paw
In truth, "I dunno" applies, It came from my grandfather's toolbox, to my father's, and thence to mine.
Granddad was chief maintainence engineer for a large mine, in northern Idaho, It's possible he may have _made_ that wrench -- again, "I dunno" applies. :)
Robert Bonomi wrote:

Good enough. Being left handed, mostly, 4 sounds good. Joe

left-hand thread on the adjustable jaw.

Good enough. Being left handed, mostly, 4 sounds good. Joe
*** Well, in an "adjustable spanner" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adjustable_spanner it is brand dependent: a real one will have the 'right' thread. All the copies have the 'wrong' thread (a matter of patent?). Anyway, it does not seem to make a difference in practice

Reminds me of a search I sent an apprentice carpenter off for so he wouldn't bug me.
We were stripping a bunch of sidewalk forms. I told the young apprenctice to go to the job shack and get the 5 gallon bucket of form-off. He looked and looked and finally asked the superintendent where it was.
He came back with a sheepish grin and said the superintendent was ordering a bucket of f***-off for me. SH
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

them
enough--getting
thinking it

Many folks call them "form" nails down here, but most everyone also knows them by "duplex" nails.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04