Joining two boards

For that, you need nothing. The adjacent boards hold things together quite nicely.

Reply to
dadiOH

I've done it several times with a TS too; all it takes is patience and a fine blade plus a spreader. One still sits in my living room; nary a crack or space to be seen anywhere, lo these past couple decades.

Reply to
Twayne

When I did mine I used a compound mite saw and set two angles (not sure of the terminology) so that I "scarfed" on both planes then glued up the matching ends. This helps make a joint that's difficult to see or at least doesn't stand out and adds gluing surface - and, I assume, strength.

One question, is te tool he (OP) referenced as a "Joiner" called a "Jointer?"

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

Hey, I bought a set (from MCLS) and have yet to do a project with them. They eat a lot of material. But do incease the gluing surfaces and lock the two boards nicely. There's a set with a "V-groove" mating approach as well.

From my experiments, the setup is important on a long board. If there is a warp, you want the bowed side down as you run it through the shaper/router table so as to assure the distance from one surface to the groove is as close to identical on both boards. A good "hold down" jig - maybe those wheelie things - is called for if edging a long board w/o a helper. They make nice cuts, On a "project" with good wood, I might try two or three passes using my PC890 in the table - but I've yet to try that.

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

Of course it can be done, but do you think if he could do it with his TS he would be asking the question to begin with?

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Of course. You can use a (long) hand plane, tablesaw, or a router table. None of these are as good nor fast as a jointer. Without a jointer, my personal choice is a hand plane.

Reply to
Phisherman

Please excuse my ignorance. What is a "whiteboard"? To me, a whiteboard is what the high $ consultants use to explain why they cost so much.

Is it another name for pine?

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

How the heck would you clamp up something like that while the glue sets? Sounds like a nightmare.

The maximum surface area increase you could get would be 1.414 of the original dimension if the angle were 45 degrees.

Reply to
Twayne

Rather than second-guessing him, I tried to relate that a TS is a usable tool and if that's all that's available, as it was when I used that method, it can be made to work. It's called reinforcing a previous comment.

He's free to consider it, or not. What compels you to second-guess his needs?

Reply to
Twayne

There must be quite a knack to that. I tried it once though only with a

12" plane, and though I got from one end to the other pretty well set, consistancy from one side of the board to the other was another thing. Or is it a case of the plane having to be wider than the board?

Regards,

Twayne

Reply to
Twayne

AKA: Mystery wood AKA: Low quality. Cheap but not necessarily low cost.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Nope. It's a case of practice makes perfect. A longer plane will give a better reference surface, but any plane can be used to produce a flat surface. Note that while one is hogging the surface down to "close to flat", one typically works at an angle (30-40 degrees) to the longitudinal dimension of the lumber, typically from both sides until the surface is close to flat, then a smooth plan is used with the grain (longitudinally) to remove the marks from the rough surface.

Then, using that surface as a reference, scribe a reference line on all four sides, flip the board and repeat above procedure to the scribed reference line.

Takes lots of practice, sharp irons and a well tuned plane.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

There are a lot of things that can be done with a TS that many people don't know about, especially beginners.

Reply to
Leon

LOL, Its that white wood that the borg sells. It is no particular species but rather a possibility of being White Pine, Spruce, and or another wood that I cannot recall at the moment.

Sometimes it is, sometime is is not.

Reply to
Leon

Wed, Jan 9, 2008, 6:31pm jc snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Buck=A0Turgidson) doth queryeth; Please excuse my ignorance. What is a "whiteboard"? To me, a whiteboard is what the high $ consultants use to explain why they cost so much. Is it another name for pine?

That would have to be one Hell of a large whiteboard then before I'd believe 'em.

Pine would be Jummy wood.

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President

- Bumper Sticker I quite agree.

Reply to
J T

Thu, Jan 10, 2008, 12:03am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@devnull.spamcop.net (Twayne) doth query: How the heck would you clamp up something like that while the glue sets? Sounds like a nightmare.

Clamps, nails, weights, whatever - depends. Simple enough operation.

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President

- Bumper Sticker I quite agree.

Reply to
J T

Thu, Jan 10, 2008, 12:09am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@devnull.spamcop.net (Twayne) doth query: There must be quite a knack to that. I tried it once though only with a

12" plane, and though I got from one end to the other pretty well set, consistancy from one side of the board to the other was another thing. =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0Or is it a case of the plane having to be wider than the board?

Not really, more paying attention.

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President

- Bumper Sticker I quite agree.

Reply to
J T

Thu, Jan 10, 2008, 2:21am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net (Leon) doth sayeth: There are a lot of things that can be done with a TS that many people don't know about, especially beginners.

Uh, you're not gonna tell us that it's things like what some people do with cordless drills and sawzalls are you?

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President

- Bumper Sticker I quite agree.

Reply to
J T

Fir. The "mix" around here is hemlock, spruce, fir. The heavy ones are fir. No pine as "whitewood" but available as pine.

Reply to
dadiOH