Joining two boards

I will be doing a project which will require me to join two 1 x 8 whiteboards for a wider board but I do not have a joiner. I may purchase one some day but for now, have never needed to use one and also waiting for the finances to straighten up a bit more before I do. Therefore, I was wondering if there is another option to use for joining these boards other than borrowing/renting a joiner?

Thanks for any input.

Reply to
SBH

Very helpful Leon. Geesh :^(

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

I use my TS all the time for that purpose.

Reply to
Leon

Attach a straight edge to the board being jointed and reference the base of a hand held router off of it. Use a staight bit to trim a 1/16" off of the board and you will have a clean edge ready for joining.

OR

Instead of referencing the router base off of the straight edge, use a straight bit with a bearing (See Flush Trim Bits at Woodcraft).

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

The traditional way is a hand plane...

--

Reply to
dpb

In all seriousness, I use my TS and Rip fence to straighten boards all the time. If it is a long board I use a strait edge jig along the fence.

Reply to
Leon

Take a router with a straight bit and a straight edge. Clamp the straight edge to one board so you are taking a very small cut off the side of the board. Clamp the second board slightly less than the diameter of the bit. Route both boards at the same time and the edges will be matching. Larry

Reply to
larry

(Slaps forehead) Ok, I'm an idiot. My apologies for the improper wording, I assume. After reading the advice I realized what I had said and I didn't mean joining as in "planing" or "smoothing". I meant the bonding of two boards end to end or side to side using a "biscuit jointer".

Therefore, any help on this is appreciated.

Reply to
SBH

You really don't need biscuits for strength (if that is indeed your concern), but they do help with alignment. If you decide to use biscuits and you own a router you can perform the same operation using a router table and router.

You need the right bit:

the height of the bit to 'roughly' the center of thickness. Mark your biscuit location on the face of the board and move the board into the cutter (carefully-NO fingers near the bit!). Right side of board touches (facing router table - the side on the right) fence first and push the left side into the fence making contact with the bit.

If you always keep the board flat on the router table, the slots should all be aligned the same.

Good luck

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

"end to end" ... a glued "scarf joint" is usually appropriate where strength of the join is a concern. Or, depending upon the project, a "butt joint" of some type may be sufficient, as you usually see in applications like flooring, or siding.

"side to side", which reduces, practically, to "long grain to long grain" as in panel glue-ups like table tops ... nothing but glue, and sufficient and artful clamping, is necessary.

Reply to
Swingman

So you aren't worried about getting the pieces to mate without a gap

-- either lucky with straight stock or you haven't looked. Assuming you are lucky then I bet the resounding answer from the wreck will be "uhhhh use glue". Seriously though, if you are joining long long grain most any ww glue would be strong enough. End grain is a different matter. Repeat the mantra: biscuits are alignment aids.

hex

-30-

Reply to
hex

I should add that if you don't get all of the slots in the same place (center of thickness) you will end up throwing yourself out of alignment at some locations (i.e. the two faces will not be consistently flush from end to end). If this happens remove those troublesome biscuits and glue it up!

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Of course I want the sides to mate without a gap, but I've already received good advice about joining the boards earlier..LOL. Therefore, that's no longer a concern.

Thanks for the advice.

Reply to
SBH

What will be the size of the finished board?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

If you are planning on gluing the two boards end grain to end grain this would be an excellent application for a half lap joint.

This can easily be done with a back saw and a chisel.

The other posts about a method using a router or a table saw would work fine for a non-end grain butt joint.

G.S.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

13 3/4"
Reply to
SBH

I like it. Thank you

Reply to
SBH

That reminds me - - - - I've seen the router bits that make a sort double tongue and groove for joining boards. How are they for doing the ends? Lap joints would give more surface, but would these be OK for a lightly stressed place, such as the middle boards of a four board wide panel?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Tue, Jan 8, 2008, 8:19pm snipped-for-privacy@bluebottle.com (SBH) doth clarify with: (Slaps forehead) Ok, I'm an idiot. My apologies for the improper wording, I assume. After reading the advice I realized what I had said and I didn't mean joining as in "planing" or "smoothing". I meant the bonding of two boards end to end or side to side using a "biscuit jointer". Therefore, any help on this is appreciated.

Glue usually works for me. Or you can nail on a piece of wood to each for butt joining them; multiple pieces if side by side.

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President

- Bumper Sticker I quite agree.

Reply to
J T

Tue, Jan 8, 2008, 9:52pm snipped-for-privacy@bluebottle.com (SBH) doth posteth: Lew queried: What will be the size of the finished board?

To which wasshisname replied:

13 3/4"

Would that be: Length? Width? Thickness? Or all of them? Details, details, details - seriously lacking.