Joining Butcher Block Countertop

Hi. I posted here awhile back on countertops for my renovated store. I am joining a 13' x 3' x 1.5" thick butcher block countertop to another piece that is 4'x 25.5" in an L formation. I wanted to join them so that they would be flush. I went to HD and picked up the miter corner joiner kits that are used normally for the Mills Pride countertops. These "kits" contain 4 threaded bolts with about 1" long metal tabs threaded onto each end. Each half of the counter has a T shape cut into the bottom of it, and when you put the two pieces together the two T's line up. You put the bolt and tabs in that groove and tighten the tabs with an open wrench. When they are snug you pound the top of the counter until they are flush, and then tighten the bolt fully. I figured one kit with 4 bolts would be plenty to join the 25.5" counter to the big counter. I just have to cut the grooves with a router carefully.

These were expensive counters, so I wanted to post here to see if there might be anything to watch out for when doing this. It sounds like the best way to join the two pieces and be able to adjust things so they are flush.

Thanks for any comments.

dwhite

Reply to
Dan White

I do this sort of thing all the time. I would put in a couple or three to five bisquits between the 'dog bones' (as I call those bolts). They will help you tremdously with the levelling. Kind of like this:

0= Other than that, be careful with the tightening as you are pulling along the grain with at least one of the tops.

Any more questions, lose the BULL from my addy.

When using bolts and bisquits you won't really need adhesive either. I suppose some silicone in the seam before assembly might seal things up a bit.

0¿0

Rob

Reply to
Robatoy